Brand New Car waiting for a part for seven months

Options
Hi, i was wondering could offer some advise. I bought a brand new renault in November. I had an accident no other cars involved in June. The car has now been in the garage for seven months waiting for a part. Renault can give no date and say they await a bracket and fog light which is on back order. I have been paying for this car monthly which i do not have. Insurance provided a courtesy car but the insurance is now up for renewal. What is the best thing to do, thank you

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    See if you can source your own part from a breaker's yard? Though that will have warranty implications.

Otherwise, you'll need to wait.
  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SG95 said:
    Hi, i was wondering could offer some advise. I bought a brand new renault in November. I had an accident no other cars involved in June. The car has now been in the garage for seven months waiting for a part. Renault can give no date and say they await a bracket and fog light which is on back order. I have been paying for this car monthly which i do not have. Insurance provided a courtesy car but the insurance is now up for renewal. What is the best thing to do, thank you
    Not buy another renault?
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a similar experience. Dealer Chain A couldn't source a part, and said i would have to wait. Eventual i checked with Dealer Chain B, who had the part in stock. I then challenged A, and to be fair, they got it in on a trade order from B.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2023 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Parts availability has been an issue for some time now - one of the reasons why insurance premiums have risen so much lately.
    If your current insurer is providing a courtesy car then the easiest thing to do is just wait until your car is fixed.
    I suspect your question is more related to what you do about insurance renewal?  The simplest thing is to renew with the same insurance company - that way, they already have all the information, and should hopefully carry on providing your courtesy car until such time as yours is back on the road.  Obviously, the advice is usually to shop around each year, but I suspect this may be one occasion where it's simpler to just renew with the same company.
    By all means, there's nothing lost by having a look to see what other providers quote you (remember you'll need to declare the claim).  But as long as your current renewal quote is not a ridiculous amount more than other quotes you receive, I'd be tempted to renewal with your current insurer for this year.
  • Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2023 at 7:40PM
    Options
    I know that Range Rovers and Peugeots cannot get parts at the moment.  Nothing specific to do with Renault and everything to do with not being able to get the containers released to come into the UK.  I was told they may be available in December, but I would look to the New Year for the parts to be distributed, that's assuming the containers have what you need in them.

About the Insurance - do you not intend to keep the car?  If not, let it lapse, but at some point, it will need to be insured for you to remove it from the Garage.  If you do, then renew.  
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are your current insurer still paying for a courtesy car after 7 months? If so, I can't see any insurance company taking you on as a new customer and start shelling out for a car for you. You're stuck with the same company for now, but given the amount they've paid out for 7 months, I can't see that you've got much to complain about about them.

My husband's car got nurfed up the back 4 days before renewal which meant he had no choice but to renew with his existing insurer due to the ongoing claim. Sometimes you have to adapt to less than your ideal scenario.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MrFrugalFever
    Options
    Surely Renault UK would have a courtesy car programme in place for customers who have parts on order that cannot be supplied within a certain time frame, I know other manufacturers do....
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    I know that Range Rovers and Peugeots cannot get parts at the moment.  Nothing specific to do with Renault and everything to do with not being able to get the containers released to come into the UK.  I was told they may be available in December, but I would look to the New Year for the parts to be distributed, that's assuming the containers have what you need in them.

About the Insurance - do you not intend to keep the car?  If not, let it lapse, but at some point, it will need to be insured for you to remove it from the Garage.  If you do, then renew.  
    If it is on finance (other than a personal loan) then the OP will be required to keep it insured. Even without that, not having fire and theft as a minimum would not be a good idea.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A relative has a reasonably new mini, still under warranty. It needed a sensor which took about 6 weeks to arrive. She was told that they would only do a production run for 200 at a time, and wouldn't start the run until they had enough firm orders. 

That's where it was their responsibility. Accident damage isn't and is into - how long is a piece of string- territory. 

Supply chains were borked with covid / lockdown / furlough / irregular order patterns etc. They still have some way to go to return to where they were, if they ever do. Cars seem to have been more affected than most industries. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely Renault UK would have a courtesy car programme in place for customers who have parts on order that cannot be supplied within a certain time frame, I know other manufacturers do....
    For warranty repairs likely but for "self inflicted" damage I doubt it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback