Anyone else sick and tired of holes in bread and apples in supermarkets ?

Im sick and tired of seeing lots of bread with at least one tiny hole in the plastic so it goes off very soon, and I'm fed up of buying packs of 4 big apples so when you open them, two of the apples have a hole in, you can't check the apples properly before buying because the wrapping hides the holes or bruises.

People are too tired to complain because they are too tired from working which goes in the supermarkets favour, any comments?

Comments

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,483
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When Genius gluten free bread first got going, I would get loaves with huge holes in the actual bread. I complained and got refunds but it got to be so much hassle that I stopped buying it. 

Not just tiredness, it could be the hassle of complaining of people don't spot the holes. 

Suggest buying loose apples or apples in a bag, not a pack. 
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,613
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When you said holes in the bread, I thought you meant actual holes in the bread. I have bought a few loaves which have 2-4cm holes in the bread very close to the crust.Means the slice does not have integrity so cannot be buttered easily nor pulled out of the toaster. I find that very annoying.
    I'll get my coat.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,801
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    Jimmy3838 said:
    Im sick and tired of seeing lots of bread with at least one tiny hole in the plastic so it goes off very soon, and I'm fed up of buying packs of 4 big apples so when you open them, two of the apples have a hole in, you can't check the apples properly before buying because the wrapping hides the holes or bruises.

People are too tired to complain because they are too tired from working which goes in the supermarkets favour, any comments?
    Never had either problem to be honest. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 303
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yeah, recently I've noticed a hole in the plastic packaging of the bread I've had in a delivery and I've had to double bag it with a clip to prevent it going stale too quickly.  I also complain if the pears/tomatoes I get in the delivery are going off and they refund me.  I probably wouldn't bother complaining if I'd bought them in the shop though.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,674
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    @Jimmy3838 ... agreed.

I always check the bread bag and from what I can see it's most caused by scuffing in the rack or occasionally by fingernails. Another problem is squashed slices.

Do you have a problem with dented cans too? I do. 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,928
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We freeze our sliced bread as soon as it is delivered with the rest of the groceries, takes very little time for a slice to defrost, the bread toasts great from frozen and it doesn't go mouldy, eliminating waste.

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    +1 on freezing when you get it. I freeze mine in bags of 4 slices. That is 2 days sandwiches for work. 
  • lr1277 said:
    When you said holes in the bread, I thought you meant actual holes in the bread. I have bought a few loaves which have 2-4cm holes in the bread very close to the crust.Means the slice does not have integrity so cannot be buttered easily nor pulled out of the toaster. I find that very annoying.
    I'll get my coat.
    Yes, I did mean holes in the actual slices. That's why I stopped buying Genius gluten free bread. Husband makes flaxseed rolls himself now. You're braver than me @Ir1277 as I wouldn't attempt to put holey bread in the toaster. 
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,090
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I tend to press on plastic bags to see if air escapes.
    Those pre-packed premium apples are a thing - I bought a pack of four from tesco last week and two were bruised.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback