Making cashback or points on bills

Options
Searching let me down on this question; so many very old threads. Not sure on the right board either but hey ho….
Anyone use great techniques for paying bills, utilities, insurance & all that stuff with cashback or points cards? None of the companies take Amex and banks exclude bill payments from cashback (well Chase does). Anyone know a good solution? Are there no rewards to be had for the necessary outlay in life?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Some insurers etc do accept AmEx

The problem is that the discount offered for paying by DD will far outweigh any rewards from the card unless you really do value 1st class flights at face value and even then you have to be selective. 
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 November 2023 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Saltrams said:
    Searching let me down on this question; so many very old threads. Not sure on the right board either but hey ho….
    Anyone use great techniques for paying bills, utilities, insurance & all that stuff with cashback or points cards? None of the companies take Amex and banks exclude bill payments from cashback (well Chase does). Anyone know a good solution? Are there no rewards to be had for the necessary outlay in life?
    My debit card payments to Octopus attract cashback. DD is set to a fiver and the rest is paid off manually. 
  • easyasonetwothree
    Options
    Santander Edge gives 1% cashback on household bills (inc. paid by direct debit) and 1% back on grocery/travel expenditure. Limit depends on which account you take out. I received about £9 in cashback last month, nothing exciting but better than nothing! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback