Council Tax and Property Left Empty

Options
My grandmother has moved into a care home, the council tax is now cancelled as her flat is empty. The property is next door to her care home. I don't live near her, and would like to come up to her a few days in a row once a month. Can I stay there?, I would only be using it for sleeping purposes.

It's not on the market yet, and she is currently paying a huge service charge of £300 a month.

Many thanks

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,514 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Of course you can stay there.

What do you mean by 'the council tax has been cancelled'?

Do you mean that you have applied for, and been given a Class E exemption?
  • marcus-darkus
    Options
    The property is empty and no council tax is being paid, as my grandmother is not living there now, she is in a full-time care home. I'm not sure what exemption code as I didn't arrange for it to be cancelled. 

I was planning on staying there a few nights a month to visit her in her care home. I will be paying council tax at another property not related to it. Is this ok?

Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,514 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 14 November 2023 at 2:34PM
    Options
    I hope someone hasn't just cancelled the direct debit. When you visit, see what letters are there.

If there is any problem, post again. Council Tax is never cancelled as such, and an exemption can be lost.

A Class E exemption seems logical and you could ask how the council view 'unoccupied' but that may open a can of worms. If you pay council tax at another address and only visit occasionally then I can't see a problem.

The property doesn't have to be empty, just unoccupied
  • marcus-darkus
    Options
    thanks fatbelly.

Yes, unoccupied, not empty - it seems class E exemption is the one. I would be paying council tax elsewhere, and there a few days a month, was just curious if anyone else had gone through this, it's more of another family member bringing up this possible issue, but I like to check into these things,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback