lowell

My son has received an email from Lowell 'we are trying to connect with .........(ME), if this email address doesn't belong to ...........(ME) please let us know so we can update our records.

My son is fuming as to how they have his personal email address?.  I have had a small debt years ago which Lowell handled but the debt is statue barred as citizen's have clarified this.  My son hasn't lived with me for 10years so how they have obtained this under the GDPR

any advice would be appreciated. 

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,226
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Who knows?

The general rule is to ignore emails anyway so just mark it as spam
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,530
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Data is shared, or sold often, its big business, they will have paid for a list of contact details, and tried to match the list to you, or vice versa, one of the many ways a DCA tries to trace you.

The only thing you need to respond to is a good old fashioned letter, unless or until they can be bothered to write to you, I`m with fatbelly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,281
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are your names similar?  If so it might just be a computer generated email.  So if you are Stella Smith and son is Stanley Smith and he has an email address of [email protected] it could be that a computer can tell that it's a real email (not that difficult) and there may be a possibility they're going for the right person.  Chances are they have also targeted SSMITH, STESMITH, etc

But as others say - tell him to ignore it.  If they start to sound threatening he can always send them a letter (not ring them) to tell them to get lost.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback