Housing Association - Credit Withdrawn

Options
Hi All,

This is my first post so sorry if this is not the most suitable forum to ask this question, I’m sure an admin can move it if not?

So long story short…

I’m a shared owner with Clarion Housing. In September 23 I get a letter from them with the actual service charges calculations for 2022-2023, the final sum was a credit due to me of £2987, the credit was applied to my Clarion rent account on October 1st.  The letter itself was signed by a head of department. 

Fast forward to November, the applied credit is removed and instead replaced with a debit in excess of £600.  I called them and they said the credit was a mistake, they re-ran their figures and corrected it and I’ll be getting a letter explaining how this mistake was made…

So obvious question, do I have a way out of this? Are they ‘allowed’ to withdraw their credit and simply instead demand additional money off me  as a result of their miscalculation?  

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2023 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Yes they are allowed to correct any mistakes and they have a 6 year window to do it.  But they should allow you time to pay / arrange a payment plan.
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    I’m a shared owner with Clarion, they usually add any debit from last year (or credit) on to this years service charge so each month you pay the service charge plus a twelfth of the debt.

It must be a right kick in the teeth to find out you owe money when you thought you had such a significant credit but I don’t think there’s much you can do. Make a complaint to Clarion if it makes you feel better or to the social housing ombudsman. But I don’t think you’ll get any money back.
  • adsuk2023
    Options
    Thank you both 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family