Getting an office job having not done one for ages

textbook
textbook Posts: 561
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 7 November 2023 at 7:22AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Want to get an office job as I've injured myself and cant do physical work at present.  Running out of money.  I did one years ago but what do I say on CV to get one?

Been working in trades and had other job using computers but not office job.  
Someone said-

put-

Microsoft suite

filing

photocopying

data entry

customer relations

all of which have experience in

how do I persuade an agency or whoever to give me work?

Also, can I claim disability benefit at least temporarily?

Comments

• textbook said:

You focus on your relevant strengths when applying.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,016
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    textbook said:
    Want to get an office job as I've injured myself and cant do physical work at present.  Running out of money.  I did one years ago but what do I say on CV to get one?

Been working in trades and had other job using computers but not office job.  
    Someone said-

put-

Microsoft suite

filing

photocopying

data entry

customer relations

all of which have experience in

Presumably the 'someone' isn't involved in recruitment! Have a look online and see what sort of skills are being demanded and then tailor your cv accordingly, remembering that you need to be honest - and may need to prove any qualifications you claim to have.

The problem is that (on paper) you've not really got much which is going to appeal to an employer, especially as so many jobs are now WFH or hybrid and they'll be looking for recent experience/references to confirm skills and abilities.

You say you can't do physical work, but would you be able to do shop work or delivery driving, say?

textbook said:

Also, can I claim disability benefit at least temporarily?
    Depends if you're eligible. See https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/disability
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • A good recruitment agency would walk you through and help with your CV. So I'd perhaps start there, doesn't cost you anything and it's in their interest to get you out there working.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,788
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2023 at 11:30AM
    textbook said:
    Someone said-

put-

Microsoft suite
    In most cases it is Excel and Word.

Do you know how to use them at a basic level? Don't be one of the people that suggests they are competent at Excel because they used it at school, but don't know how to total a column. If you're not confident, spend a weekend watching basic Excel tutorials.

I'd also add that 'Office Job' is quite generic, for example, a Sales Assistant, an Admin Assistant and a Customer Service Assistant would have vastly different duties and would need to have a different set of skills.

If you were applying to a Customer Service role, it would be more important to refer to your communication skills, ability to defuse difficult situations, etc.

As an employer, I'd also encourage you to be more unique and personable.

E.g. don't put "customer relations" as a skill on a CV for a customer service role, describe how your passion is making people happy and achieving great results for customers, providing experiences they will want to tell their friends about.

Good luck.
    Know what you don't
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,853
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You should mention that it your injury that is the reason you are looking for office work. I would also mention whether you think the injury will heal, and if so, how long it might take. This might cause many employers to reject you, if they think that you are only looking for a tempoary role, so say if you regard the move to office work as permanent, or be honest if you would like yo go back to your physical job and you know that you will be able to do so when the injury heals. 

Good luck!
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just be honest on your CV, tell them your situation and apply the strengths that you have to the job you are applying for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback