Recruitment agency sign on is this normal?

Hi All a bit of background info
I have recently taken early retirement, but I still need to do some work.  I decided to sign on with a recruitment agency. I meet them in person and took all the relevant documentation, ie: driving licence, photo and paper, proof of NI number in the form of a letter from my pension provider, all my certificates, DBS, which is enhanced and on the updater service, birth cert, marriage cert. All of tis the young man that interviewed me took pictures of on a mobile phone to upload to my profile.  He assured me it would all be deleted from his phone once uploaded.  A few days later he asked me to apply for a new DBS because I would or may be working with SENd students, this is what I had done for the last 8 years, so I was a little confused as to why I needed the new a new one as my current one was on updater (Child Workforce).
But what really disturbed me was the request for me to send them a photograph with my birth certificate next to my face.  Is this normal?    

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,512
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have recently taken early retirement, but I still need to do some work.  I decided to sign on with a recruitment agency. I meet them in person and took all the relevant documentation, ie: driving licence, photo and paper, proof of NI number in the form of a letter from my pension provider, all my certificates, DBS, which is enhanced and on the updater service, birth cert, marriage cert. All of tis the young man that interviewed me took pictures of on a mobile phone to upload to my profile.  He assured me it would all be deleted from his phone once uploaded.  A few days later he asked me to apply for a new DBS because I would or may be working with SENd students, this is what I had done for the last 8 years, so I was a little confused as to why I needed the new a new one as my current one was on updater (Child Workforce).
    But what really disturbed me was the request for me to send them a photograph with my birth certificate next to my face.  Is this normal?    
     Doesn't sound normal to me when you have already provided all your ID. Especially as you could just pop down to the office with it. 
     Though Its normal to do a fresh DBS as organisations have strict policies in carrying out their own checks. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It is not unusual to be asked to send a photo of yourself with the appropriate document.  It is to verify that you are the same person as in the document when not seen face-to-face.  Normally that is passport (in my experience at least).

The fact you are being asked again does kind of prove that the previous data was deleted from the mobile phone.

It is also not unusual that every employer / agency requires a new DBS.
  • When I worked as a college tutor through an agency I had to pay for the DBS check (every 3 years).  Are they asking you to pay for it?
  • It's an inspection requirement for both Ofsted and CQC to have an up-to-date photo of the staff member on file. If you're working in a regulated environment, and it sounds like you are, then they will need a photo for a compliant staff file. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback