Setting budget with options

This might be a bit off-topic for MSE but maybe some kind person can help. I am preparing the 2024 budget for the charity I head and I want to show my finance committee various budget options. The way I would like to present it is that each budget line would show either a fixed figure (say the cost of annual audit) or a range of options, both for income and expenditure; these would reflect different staffing structures and programme delivery options. Ideally I would like a spreadsheet where I can populate as many columns/options as I like for each budget line, and when you go down the list of budget lines and click an option in each one, it highlights that option and provides a total at the bottom. Does anyone know whether (assuming that makes sense...) such software exists, preferably within Excel? Many thanks.

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,200
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    In excel, you could do it as a defined dropdown list for each cell, but it'd be a real faff to do it if you are new to the software. I'm not sure the time involved is worth it for the output.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,216
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Its not abundantly clear to be honest.

The "click on" selection method would be a bit of a pain to do but should be possible with VBA.
    A simpler solution would be to have a spare column near the start where you type the option number you are going for.

How difficult it is to do depends on how robust you want the solutions to be... for example if one row had 4 options but you either clicked a blank cell of the end or typed option 5 that would bring in a zero figure, putting sophisticated validation to stop you going beyond the options would be more difficult. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback