Has anyone ever found a voucher code that works?

Options
Hi, 
Sometimes I notice a box for a voucher code when I'm shopping on line and Google for codes for that company and usually find loads but, though many promise they're New or Current and scores or hundreds of people have successfully used them, I've copied and pasted them into the order only to have each and every one rejected. Not a single one from various voucher sites and for many different sellers has ever worked. 
Is the whole thing some sort of scam or just a wind-up, or am I doing something wrong?
Cheers.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The links are typically affiliate links so if you go on to buy the website gets some commission for the lead. That doesn't detriment you at all so neither here nor there really. 

Some links are questionable as if you read the thing carefully all they are actually doing is saying that XYZ has got a sale on at the moment rather that giving you anything special or personalised but again its no detriment to you and you may not have realised their sale was on. 

These websites don't heavily vet the codes they get given, the winner is generally the site with the most codes, and so it does mean there are lots of codes listed that were one use only or only available if your pizza will be delivered from the Bath branch or is only a discount on their Xmas collection.  Some are also bad at distinguishing between UK/US sites etc.

As a consequence a large proportion of codes don't work but some do... really depends on the company and how widely they use promo codes. Dominos Pizza you could forever find a code for a few years ago. Companies that do a 10% first order often have that code listed so you avoid the need to signup and the unsign from the newsletter 

Treat it a bit like cash back sites, if you get one that works great, but don't spend hours trying to find one that does. 
  • justwantedtosay
    Options
    Some links are questionable as if you read the thing carefully all they are actually doing is saying that XYZ has got a sale on at the moment rather that giving you anything special or personalised but again its no detriment to you and you may not have realised their sale was on. 
    Thanks. Yeah, I'd noticed that some were just pointing out sale prices but the ones I tried all claimed to be current and for believably small discounts across the 'store' and were not for things like pizzas or for companies with multiple outlets. Don't think I'll bother again. 
    The only time using a voucher code has worked was when the code was supplied by the vendor in a previous purchase, perhaps that's the only way they're ever likely to work.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have tried to do this many times and never had success
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business