National Insurance Voluntary

Can I just ask and i know it may seem a little obvious.  i have one year where I was self employed for most of the year and paid contributions for the business but not for the whole year.  With my national insurance record showing as not a qualifying year I would like to make voluntary contributions to make it up.  Do you  just pay for the missing weeks or do you have to pay for a whole year.  

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,518
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2023 at 11:59AM
    You only need to fill the missing weeks.  Your NI record will show the amount needed at class 3 rate.  Which year is it and how much is it showing as needed ?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,629
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Usually, you can just pay for the missing bit.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • molerat said:
    You only need to fill the missing weeks.  Your NI record will show the amount needed at class 3 rate.  Which year is it and how much is it showing as needed ?
    it is year 22/23 currently  just details that it is not a complete year and they are checking the details and it will be updated "in due course" I was just trying to get my budgets prepred
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,518
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    it is year 22/23 currently  just details that it is not a complete year and they are checking the details and it will be updated "in due course" I was just trying to get my budgets prepred
    Could be several years for them to update it / look at it, likely not until SP claim time.  If you want to find how much it is going to cost you need to phone the HMRC NI helpline. 0300 200 3500.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback