Nationwide security

Options
Sonling
Sonling Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
edited 30 October 2023 at 11:17AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
I opened an Ulster Bank savings account last week. When I set up a payment transfer at my  Nationwide current account the scam check did not recognise the name or account details.  When I tried to transfer money I was told this may be a scam. I know I entered correct sort code and account details. Has anyone else experienced this with Nationwide?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    reported to move to the banking board....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Often happens when any bank does not conform to Confirmation of Payee.

It's an UB problem, not Nationwide.

I've had the same several times with various banks.

If it is your own account and you double check the details, NW will allow the transfer if you click the button.

You may have to use that pesky card reader for the first payment.
  • Sonling
    Options
    It looks like Ulster Bank is no longer regulated by FCA ,although it's Loyalty Saver is on MSE list of good deals
  • Ayr_Rage
    edited 29 October 2023 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Ulster Bank is part of NatWest and is FCA/PRA regulated and part of the FSCS.

They did close the Irish Republic part last April.
  • pridehappy
    pridehappy Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 October 2023 at 11:06PM
    Options
    As Ulster Bank is not based in the UK it’s most likely it isn’t part of the checker service. This means it will never come up as matched details.

Make sure to check Ulster Bank provides sufficient protection before investing, if you wish to go ahead, I’d suggest sending £1.01 (penny makes it easier to track if it does go missing) and ensuring it reaches the account before sending large amounts.

I’ve also been informed from Nationwide if you call to inform them of large transfers and provide reasoning in advance they are less likely to stop the payments.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nationwide's security seems perfectly fine from your account OP.

Indeed any bank would give you the same messages if the receiving bank isn't part of the CoP system. 

And, for #pridehappy, Ulster Bank is most definitely in the UK.
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 October 2023 at 12:13AM
    Options
    As Ulster Bank is not based in the UK it’s most likely it isn’t part of the checker service. This means it will never come up as matched details.

Make sure to check Ulster Bank provides sufficient protection before investing, if you wish to go ahead, I’d suggest sending £1.01 (penny makes it easier to track if it does go missing) and ensuring it reaches the account before sending large amounts.

I’ve also been informed from Nationwide if you call to inform them of large transfers and provide reasoning in advance they are less likely to stop the payments.
    I'm afraid you have got it wrong Ulster Bank is in the  uk 🇬🇧 
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 October 2023 at 12:39AM
    Options
    The "problem" is simply that it takes 24 - 48 hours before the Ulster account shows in the Confirmation Of Payee system.

If you try it again tomorrow or the day after, the account will be found ok by Nationwide.

Please ignore all the suggestions that Ulster Bank isn't regulated by the FCA, not a UK bank or similar. They are part of NatWest, fully licensed in the UK, and therefore covered by FSCS just like any other UK bank.

• Ayr_Rage
    Options
    @pridehappy suggest you edit and correct your post as it has patently incorrect information regarding UB.

I bank with NW and have come up against their transfer limits recently, calling them made absolutely no difference, if the system puts a cap on transfers then staff have no way of overriding what the algorithm has decided.

I did not have transfers blocked just limited to £25k rather than their maximum of £100k (Faster Payments)

After calling them to complain I got a call back from the local branch who asked me if I could come in and that they would process the required transfers as CHAPS and waive the fees, very good service, what would have taken 10 days took 30 minutes.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback