Braces/Aligners for teenage son :)

Options
My son thinks he need Braces/Aligners to get his teeth aligned! After some checks I could see some alignment issues with lower front teeth.

This is extremely new area for me , I did good search of MSE forum to find some threads mainly  Talking about INVISALIGN!.  I suppose this in one brand? I am just wondering what is the best way to find best option ..? Most of the MSE posts were very old pre 2013 posts.

1. Going to my NHS dentist and ask options..? Is there any NHS cover for these kind of treatments which may be considered as cosmetic treatment..? Hopefully some reduced cost with NHS dentistry?

2. Any Dental Insurance cover for this so that I can get to reduce cost impact..? Or again this is considered as cosmetic 
treatment and not covered by any Dental Insurance..?

3. Exploring local option is best I thought as these braces need regular adjustments as we progress with treatments..?

Anyone here have experience or guidance to share as I am totally in dark and I can see some online expense quotes are as high as £3K to £4K.

Please help. thanks 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2023 at 9:40AM
    Options
    I’d be checking with his NHS dentist as a starting point, although if he’s been going regularly if they felt there was a clinical need I’d query why that hasn’t been raised before now?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/braces-and-orthodontics/

He also needs absolutely scrupulous dental hygiene - is that the case? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Be aware there is a significant wait for NHS orthodontics my son has been waiting a year. 

He first needed a full assessment of his teeth to see if its actually needed then a series of appointments to ensure his brushing was up to scratch 
  • sujsuj
    sujsuj Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks very much. Going to try with my dentist first. Thanks

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business