Notice period

I have been offered a new job with a start date of January and with a 4 week notice period I don't have to give my notice in until 1st Dec. Our office shuts for the Christmas week so essentially it would be 3 working weeks of notice. I have a good relationship with my boss and would like to give her as much notice as possible. However, we are due an bonus in December and I need to be employed for the whole of December to get it. (We receive the bonus when in our notice period. This is confirmed). If I told my boss about my intention to give notice on 1st Dec could the company make my last day the 22nd (last day of work before the Christmas closure) in order to stop me getting the bonus? I have worked there for more than 2 years. Alternatively, If gave my notice on 1st Dec my last working day would be 29th Dec. When the bonus was paid in previous years the eligibility criteria said you must be employed on the 31st Dec. But for example, in 2021 this was a working day but it is a Sunday this year. 

Comments

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,565
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When you say start date of January what is the exact start date?

As regards the termination date it would be four weeks from when you give notice. The company cannot arbitrarily change it to suit their dates. 
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,816
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    GrumpyDil said:
    When you say start date of January what is the exact start date?

As regards the termination date it would be four weeks from when you give notice. The company cannot arbitrarily change it to suit their dates. 
    Technically counting from the day after you give notice, as legally notice begins the day after it is issued.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,250
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    If you have to give 4 weeks notice and hand your notice in on the 1st, you won't still be employed at the end of the month.  You end date will be 29th.
  • CT52 said:
    I have been offered a new job with a start date of January and with a 4 week notice period I don't have to give my notice in until 1st Dec. Our office shuts for the Christmas week so essentially it would be 3 working weeks of notice. I have a good relationship with my boss and would like to give her as much notice as possible. However, we are due an bonus in December and I need to be employed for the whole of December to get it. (We receive the bonus when in our notice period. This is confirmed). If I told my boss about my intention to give notice on 1st Dec could the company make my last day the 22nd (last day of work before the Christmas closure) in order to stop me getting the bonus? I have worked there for more than 2 years. Alternatively, If gave my notice on 1st Dec my last working day would be 29th Dec. When the bonus was paid in previous years the eligibility criteria said you must be employed on the 31st Dec. But for example, in 2021 this was a working day but it is a Sunday this year. 
    Give them 4 weeks notice so that your last day of employment is technically 1 January 2024.  So give the written notice on Monday, 4 December.  That is if at least one of the employers would not want you to work on the bank holiday.

How long have you been employed with the current company?  How easy would it be to replace you with someone new or for other members of staff to temporarily take on duties you currently do?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback