Retiring - Pay rise

Options
Good Morning ...Due to retire on 5th January 2024 on a final salary pension after 29 years service , we have just been informed that we will be getting an 8% pay rise as from the 1st of January 2024 ... am I entitled to this ? will it be included in my final salary ..albeit I am retiring 4 days later 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect you may have to refer to the rules of your specific pension scheme. 
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    Options
    You're better asking your pension provider as they will all have different rules.  My final salary scheme was based on the best year of the last 3 years so the 8% pay rise wouldn't have made any difference to my pension but you should get 4 days of the 8% if it's from 1st January
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're better asking your pension provider as they will all have different rules.  My final salary scheme was based on the best year of the last 3 years so the 8% pay rise wouldn't have made any difference to my pension but you should get 4 days of the 8% if it's from 1st January
    agree, totally down to the rules of the particular scheme, occasionally pay rises are backdated and that can have an impact
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Maldoon said:
    Good Morning ...Due to retire on 5th January 2024 on a final salary pension after 29 years service , we have just been informed that we will be getting an 8% pay rise as from the 1st of January 2024 ... am I entitled to this ? will it be included in my final salary ..albeit I am retiring 4 days later 
    Why wouldn't you get it?

But it will no doubt be of negligible benefit.

Maybe 4 days extra pay, depending on how your employer calculates pay in the pay period you cease employment.

And, if anything, a miniscule impact on your pension.

For example if the final 12 months is used it might be,
    30,000 ÷ 365 x 361 = £29,671
    Plus
    32,400 ÷ 365 x 3 = £355

Final salary = £30,026
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the question is whether the "final salary" that the pension relates to will or will not include that 8% increase. Is it the rate at moment of retirement, or the previous 12 months earnings? 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    I think the question is whether the "final salary" that the pension relates to will or will not include that 8% increase. Is it the rate at moment of retirement, or the previous 12 months earnings? 
    that is the thing and comes down to what the rules of the scheme are 
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 October 2023 at 11:34PM
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    Had this conversation many times in my LGPS days.  "Final Salary" meant pensionable earnings over the last 365 days (unless a previous year or best average had been used), as per Dazed's explanation.

OP will need to check his own schemes rules - but it is extremely unlikely that they will use the final pay rate instead of the final salary (yes, there is a difference!) 
  • RogerPensionGuy
    Options
    My DB scheme uses the best two years of the last five years. 

For most people that's year 4 and 5 and divided by 2 to get the value. 

When I spoke to them they said they actually pick the 24 highest pensionable pay months inside the last 60 months and divide by 2.

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,867 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maldoon said:
    You should be entitled to the pay rise in terms of salary, but as pointed out above, whether it is included in the calculation of your pension is another matter. Some schemes use 'salary as at....[date]' as the basis for calculation, whereas others - the majority - use a longer period/averaging over a period of several years.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback