Coming into some money after my discharge

Hi,

I declared myself bankrupt back in July 2019. I was discharged as normal a year later in August 2020. 

I have been making my agreed payments to my trustee and everything has been going fine as far as I am aware. I am due to make my last payment to them this month.

I am needing some advice as I am due to be paid some money from a solicitor in regards to a negligence case that has went in my favour. 

Will I be entitled to this money as normal or could the solicitor find out that I am on the bankruptcy register and report it meaning that I do not receive anything?

I am feeling quite anxious about this and do not understand how this works after discharge. I am hoping that because I am now discharged this will not effect my payout. 

I should also note that I live in Scotland and the bankruptcy was done under Scottish Law. I believe the rules in Scotland vary from England and Wales.

Thank you for reading. :)

Comments

• luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I think the date of the case is important. 
    Maybe check the Insolvency service site 
  • stepha4
    stepha4 Posts: 33
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I thought an IPA is 3 years? How come you're still having to pay over 4 years later? 
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 768
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    stepha4 said:
    I thought an IPA is 3 years? How come you're still having to pay over 4 years later? 
    An IPA lasts for 4 years in Scotland. 
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 768
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Elvis what days is the event that the negligence claims related to? If it is before then the Official Receiver may have a claim on some or all of it. It depends on the nature of the claim.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback