Lowell chasing old debt from 2015!

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice here.  Out of the blue i suddenly got a letter from Lowell, acting on behalf of Eon for a debt at an old property.  I left this property in 2015 and have had no other correspondence regards this.  Checked on credit karma and clearscore and can't see any debt registered for EON. 

My credit score is actually very good for me now after finally moving in to my own home and getting bills registered in my name after a 5 year stint in shared accomodation.  I obviously dont want this to damage my credit report, but as the debt is from 2015 is this not statute barred?

Feels like they are fishing here as had got me in the past with a CC debt that was older than 6 years. 

Whats my next step?  do i ignore, do i need to ask them for proof of liability? 

Thanks. 

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,461
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Eon had 6 years to enforce this and plainly didn't as a CCJ might still show up.

Given the number of people coming on here, it looks like Lowell recently bought a large set of very old debts very cheaply, in the hope of extracting something from people who don't know the rules.

I'd be inclined to do nothing but the Prove-it letter is in the stickies if you want it.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure