CGT and SA reporting help request

Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,420
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 24 October 2023 at 9:25PM in Cutting tax
I could do with some advice as to how to continue with SA and CGT reporting when HMRC think I do not need to!
( I know, would love to not need to do reporting at all! )

Having done SA for a number of years, initially as requirement, latterly to claim back tax overpaid. HMRC kept estimating tax would be due on small property income when it was not ( well under £1000) and sent out coding notices to that effect thus too much tax deducted at source.

At long last they decided I no longer need to do SA....but still take too much tax as per coding notice by putting that property oncome as taxable. They tell me I would need to do re-registration to do a SA again or claim back for overvtaxation, some how.

The stuation is complicated by the fact I have had to do a CGT report/payment for this 23/24  tax year following a non residential property sale  - reported whilst SA and access to my tax records is still available online....but for how long?

 Also I am lucky enough that I expect to exceed the thresholds for interest and/or dividends for a couple of years till I can get an inheritance sufficiently into an ISA. If lucky maybe a capital gain too, if shares do well, but not holding out hopes there!

So, how do I approach this with HMRC to keep going with SA....or is there a better way to keep my tax reporting simple, losing gateway access and SA reporting ability etc.?


Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards