CCJ Query

I have one creditor who is still insisting they will apply for a CCJ if we cannot come to an agreement over payments they want it paying off it 36 months, I had 48 months left and could not affrord payments its now defaulted, so cannot understand why they think I can clear it in a shorter time. It has taken since April for them to provide info on my CCA request happy to send them my payment request and what I can afford this is a sole debt in my name, A few questions

1.     They have mentioned they will apply for a CCJ and a charging order at the same time, can they do this?

2.     Thought they had to get CCJ first and if I don’t make payments then they can apply for a Charging order is this correct?

3.     As my property is jointly owned is it correct a creditor will not be able to obtain a CO against me, they can only get what is called a restriction?

4.     Other creditors I owe money to have agreed payment plans on what available income I have spare should I also mention this, as I have done pro rota payments?

I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,175
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    1) They can do it back to back, they can't do it at the same time unless you agree to a charging order

2) They don't need to wait for you to fail to pay the court order

3) Are you tenants in common or joint tenants? Being jointly owned doesn't prevent a charging order but the charge is only against your interests in the property

4) The county court process will be about establishing if you owe the money or not, what you can afford is broadly irrelevant for the obtaining of a CCJ - many are obtained that will never be settled 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,233
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    It sounds like bluff to me but if you receive a pre-action 30-day letter you should respond to it. Post again if you get one.

They can't issue a court claim until they have done this

A court would not necessarily order payment over 36 months. They would look at what you had available. It would be unusual to get an order lasting over 5 years but I have known it happen.

Just carry on with your strategy and don't be distracted by their huffing and puffing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,542
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Sly72 said:

I have one creditor who is still insisting they will apply for a CCJ if we cannot come to an agreement over payments they want it paying off it 36 months, I had 48 months left and could not affrord payments its now defaulted, so cannot understand why they think I can clear it in a shorter time. It has taken since April for them to provide info on my CCA request happy to send them my payment request and what I can afford this is a sole debt in my name, A few questions

1.     They have mentioned they will apply for a CCJ and a charging order at the same time, can they do this?

2.     Thought they had to get CCJ first and if I don’t make payments then they can apply for a Charging order is this correct?

3.     As my property is jointly owned is it correct a creditor will not be able to obtain a CO against me, they can only get what is called a restriction?

4.     Other creditors I owe money to have agreed payment plans on what available income I have spare should I also mention this, as I have done pro rota payments?

1. Yes they can.
    2. The law was changed in October 2012, I believe, so that a CO can be applied for after a judgement is granted, even if you are up to date with your judgement payments.
    3. If the debt is yours, and you own the property jointly, then just a restriction will be recorded.
    4. The court would look at your available disposable income, and set payment accordingly, a CCJ would be a priority payment, so the rest of your creditors may have to be paid less.

The above is obviously an abbreviated version of events, I would suggest you do your research on the subject just in case they go down that route, there are various stages to obtaining a CO, from an interim order, to a final charging order, and you have the opportunity to have your say at every stage of the process.

More info here -

Fact Sheet - Charging orders | National Debtline | National Debtline
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback