Mortgage - relationship breakdown

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some advice. My wife and I have had a relationship breakdown and we are due to talk about our home. I believe she wants to sell the property, but I don’t. My business is at our home and I am not in the financial position to buy her out.

what would be the best thing to do? I was going to speak to a Financial advisor about the equity in the property and hope we can work something out, but I am worried.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,226
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How long have you been married and what other marital assets are they? Pensions, savings etc, as well as the business. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • We’ve been married 3 years. The house is our largest asset. We have other debts that are joint. We would use equity to clear debts if possible, but there wouldn’t be enough to buy her out.
  • If there are no children and both you and your wife have paid fair shares for house and household expenses, there seems nothing I can think of which would keep you in your house unless you can buy out your wife and she agreed to that. And if there were children your wife would probably getting the house.

And let's give a thought for what your wife faces in finding somewhere to live. 
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,598
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Its going to come down to how amicable everything is and what your ex wants. 
    If she wants a clean break and her share of the money to move on, you can drag it out and incur legal costs but all that will likely do is delay the inevitable. 

However, what you also need to bear in mind is what happens if you do come up with an agreement. We see it on here all the time where people split left it and then 10-20 years down the line the ex pops up and whats to sell the house and wants half the equity that they paid nothing towards for the last 10-20 years. If you agree something, get it in writing. 

I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,715
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Do you have any relatives that would agree to going on the mortgage with you, in order to borrow enough to pay her out? Then you could find a lodger to help with the mortgage costs.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback