HMRC Response

Hey All,

Getting a bit desperate and in need of some advice. Really not sure if this is the best place on the board.

I received a 5K tax bill (which I've disputed)

HMRC kept adding late fees and interest etc - so in order to halt this I thought it best to pay the bill and continue the dispute and hopefully then get it refunded.

I wrote the requested letter and provided all the backing documents of the case, I sent it in April and it was logged on HMRC by mid May.

I was told the initial timeframe for a response was by Mid July - I sat back and waited - even thought I already thought this was a very long time.

July came around and since then every time I contact HMRC they tell me to wait another month.

This happened until mid-Sept where they now say - you'll get a call within 3-5 days, this has cycled 3-4 times now too with no call.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 43,883
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I thought it best to pay the bill and continue the dispute and hopefully then get it refunded.

A wise decision......

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor/article/hmrc-contact-tax-phone-number-delays-help/

4. It may be cheaper to pay the charge, and dispute it with HMRC later

Many of HMRC’s systems are automated. This matters because if you are disputing a charge or a fine, then interest will continue to accrue while the issue is investigated. If your problem takes a year to resolve, you could rack up a great deal of interest.

I hate having to advise this, but if you can afford it, paying the money might make sense, on the understanding that you will be making a complaint and seeking a full refund.

See also

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-basics/enquiries-penalties-appeals-complaints-and-debt/how-do-i-complain-hmrc#:~:text=If you do not hear,a claim for compensation later.

• I received a 5K tax bill (which I've disputed)

HMRC kept adding late fees and interest etc - so in order to halt this I thought it best to pay the bill and continue the dispute and hopefully then get it refunded.
    That indicates it could be Self Assessment related.

Are you able to expand on the reason for the "bill"? 

Was it from a Self Assessment return?

Was it an assessment issued by HMRC?

Was it even for income tax?
  • It stems from self assessment.
  • It stems from self assessment.
    How does it stem from SA though? The tax payable is fairly clear and standard from a SATR so there should not generally be anything to dispute unless it was submitted late, paid late, or HMRC disagreed with costs you have used as part of your self assessment.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,649
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It stems from self assessment.
    How does it stem from SA though? The tax payable is fairly clear and standard from a SATR so there should not generally be anything to dispute unless it was submitted late, paid late, or HMRC disagreed with costs you have used as part of your self assessment.
    Maybe the OP has not submitted a required return.
  • I have submitted a return - and I disagree with the amount payable. My concern is more that I have been waiting so long for a response. 

This is from HMRC webchat today:

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 12,797
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 November 2023 at 12:17PM
    Unless you are prepared to explain the full situation no one on here can help.

The starting point would be that it is called Self Assessment for a reason so are you certain you completed the return correctly?

But if you did then you need to explain in a lot more detail exactly what the issue is.

Wew you being investigated?  Was it first year your ANI went above £100k (a common scenario where a large underpayment occurs)?
  • I understand your response, but really I am looking at how to navigate getting a response to my letter. I do not need help with the content.

I don't know how to get HMRC to answer.
  • I understand your response, but really I am looking at how to navigate getting a response to my letter. I do not need help with the content.

I don't know how to get HMRC to answer.
    How you get HMRC to answer might well depend on the root of the issue. If you filled in your SA wrong then that is different to them disallowing certain costs, if you just disagree with tax policy and think you should pay less but to not have a reason based in legislation and/or case law then they will likely ignore you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback