Council Tax - Disabled Band Reduction

Options
Hi, earlier this year, I had a downstairs room (our former dining room) converted into a bedroom for my wife who has ME/CFS. This decision was an obvious one as my wife unfortunately had suffered a couple of falls using the stairs & we also don't have an upstairs toilet.We would be able to stay in our home for a few more years without the need to move to a bungalow. We applied to our local council (North Norfolk} for a disabled band reduction, even got her GP to sign the form. We thought this would be straight forward & was suprised to get turned down.  They quoted an old case in law from 2003 of similar circumstances whereby the case was rejected by the High Court "as there was no causative link between the disability & the use of the room"

I think the council's criteria for claiming this reduction should have been clearer on their website as all they said was that the qualifying adaptions are "a room (other than a kitchen or bathroom) mainly used by the disabled person"

I would welcome any advice on this & whether others have had a similar experience. This decision doesn't sit right with me & I question the morality of this.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think NNDC may be correct as from the Government website it appears that there has to be an additional room used by the disabled person rather than just using a reception room in your existing home as a bedroom.

If you look at

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people

You can follow a link to see if you are eligible
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback