Paypal 3 is no longer allowed

Options
mairiT
mairiT Posts: 21 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have been with PayPal for well over 15 years.  I have never defaulted and have a tendency to pay in advance/early.  Out of the blue, I suddenly find myself no longer having access to Pay in 3 for no reason at all.  My credit rating is very good, I am not a criminal, I am a British resident etc etc. I meet the criteria which I have always done. The retailers I use are all offering pay in 3 for all items, from Asda to Boots. Talking to PayPal is a waste of time as the call centre will not disclose why the Pay in 3 has been removed.  I believe I have a legal right to know what is the cause of this happening

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You don't need to be a criminal to be declined credit. They no doubt assess your current circumstances against their own criteria, and for whatever reason, they have decided at this time not to offer you the facility. There's usually quite a broad spectrum of data that they look at - and it could include your levels of existing debt, how you manage that debt, how often you've used the service. the values of products purchased over a period of time, and even possibly the number of defaults in your post code (sometimes it's nothing to do with your own behaviour and history). They won't tell you why if you call them up though, so no point trying that. It might be worth checking that the data on all three of your main credit reference history files is up to date and correct. Do you regularly check your reports?

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,993 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2023 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Transfer of Services from PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. to PayPal UK Ltd 

@mairiT Probably nothing to do with you or the way your account has been conducted.

Currently PayPal pay in 3 is an unregulated credit agreement, you are not covered by the Consumer Credit Act nor does it have FCA approval.

One reason why UK customers may have had this service removed, is because PayPal UK Ltd are looking to become duly authorised to conduct its regulated activities in the United Kingdom by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”).

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. intends to transfer all services provided to its users in the UK to its affiliated company, PayPal UK Ltd, on 1 November 2023.

So Their pay in 3 option will either become a regulated agreement, or it will not be offered again in this country.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • mairiT
    Options
    Sourcates I had heard of the change over and wondered if this was the problem.  I have checked my credit status and all is well with the big 3 or 4 as be the case.  Anyway, no loss.  Thanks
  • mairiT
    Options
    To all who replied thanks
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Given your age, this maybe the issue. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Any company that discriminated purely on age (and nothing else) would find themselves in very hot water.
    For sure, if someone's only source of income is a pension and that doesn't meet a lender's minimum income requirements, then fair enough.  But they cannot discriminate purely on age alone (aside from the fact that you must be 18 years or older to get credit).

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Any company that discriminated purely on age (and nothing else) would find themselves in very hot water.
    For sure, if someone's only source of income is a pension and that doesn't meet a lender's minimum income requirements, then fair enough.  But they cannot discriminate purely on age alone (aside from the fact that you must be 18 years or older to get credit).

Credit wise, it's a bit more complicated - many lenders have an age cap on taking out a mortgage (65-70 is the norm) and similarly, a cap for when it could be paid off (80-85 usually). This isn't illegal or age discrimination - you can see the details below

The exception provides that a person does not contravene the age discrimination prohibitions in section 29 of the Equality Act by doing anything in connection with the provision of a financial service. The exception means that it is not necessary to objectively justify any age discrimination in the context of financial services provision.

However, where a risk assessment is conducted for the purposes of providing a financial service, the exception will only apply if the risk assessment, in so far as it involves a consideration of the person’s age, is done by reference to information which is both relevant to the assessment of risk and from a source on which it is reasonable to rely.   

Customers need to remember that financial services providers can operate age bands and age limits for products and services, and it is not discriminatory, under the financial services exception, for them to refuse to provide you with a product or service because of your age.

https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/123
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May at 6:09AM
    Options
    There's been a few Payin3 offers recently from £30 +purchases.
    Today via Heatershop.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback