Question of 'Possessions'and 'trading',

Options
koops
koops Posts: 57 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 14 October 2023 at 3:26PM in Boost your income
Hello , having retired a couple of years ago,me and the dog took to long walks locally.Theres a golf course nearby and I pick up golf balls regularly from the woods.Its become a bit of a hobby/obsession. Friends now buy these from me,plus I sell to the golfers on course occasionally.Question is...are these balls my possessions or am I trading,and therefore liable to pay tax if I exceed the trading allowance,which I did last year,22/23.... regards,koops

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2023 at 4:36PM
    Options
    You are trading as you appear to be retrieving the balls with the intention of selling them on. If you were keeping them in cupboards or glass cases and deciding to dispose of the odd duplicate now and again that would be different

I am presuming that if a golfer loses a ball while in play and gives up the search then that ball has been treated as abandoned by its owner and it is OK for you to claim that it is now yours.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bluelad1927
    Options
    I'd be wondering if these are even yours to pick up
    If its a private golf course with a public right of way surely you shouldn't even be collecting them
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Theft by finding?

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback