🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Alpha Pension - AVC''S or Additional Pension?

Options
TFH
TFH Posts: 10 Forumite
First Anniversary
I joined the Civil Service in Dec 2020 at age 47 with no previous pension and was enrolled in the Alpha Pension scheme. I opted to pay an extra £50 in Additional Voluntary Contributions to help build it up due to the late start but have since found out that this doesn't increase my pension as such, but is a completely separate investment with Legal and General (which I would not have chosen). Should I swap to purchasing additional pension? What is likely to be the best way to boost my pension income? Can anyone explain pros and cons of the options? Many Thanks 

Comments

• housebuyer143
    Options
    If it's any consolation £50 a month into additional years, would only buy you an extra £60 or £70 a year so you haven't lost much and in fact you have all that money in AVCs. 
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 1,027 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've moved this to the Pensions board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • r6mile
    r6mile Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2023 at 10:44AM
    Options
    I am personally in the CS AVC scheme, as I preferred to have the flexibility of a defined contribution pension alongside my Alpha defined benefit pension. If you have no previous pension, then I think the CS AVC scheme is still a good option. If you consider that when you retire you will have your Alpha pension, and your state pension - both of which will give you a guarantee monthly income - so a DC pot that you can access more flexibly (to perhaps boost your income in the early years of retirement, take some extra to pay off debts/mortgage etc, etc.) might help.

As others have said you should be realistic about the impact that £50 a month will have (either via CS AVS or Added Pension) - but any amount you put in will obviously help.

Have you looked at the different investment options in the CS AVC scheme? The default Multi-Asset Fund 3 is decent and well diversified but is quite cautious at only 40% equities - so depending on your risk appetite you may want to include more equities into the mix.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As always, which is the right option for you will depend on many factors.
    If you started in the CS at age 47, and stay until retirement, you have the scope to be in Alpha for 20plus years. As Alpha accrues at 2.32% of your pensionable salary (inflation-linked), it is fairly easy to work out how much your pension may be when you retire.
    The main advantage of an alpha pension is it is guaranteed (and inflation-linked), so if you want more guaranteed income upon retirement than another potential 20 years service will provide, buying added pension seems like a good choice.
    The downsides of Alpha are a lack of flexibility, should for example you want to retire early or you will require a tax free lump sum upon retirement. Having a separate pension pot provides some flexibility at the cost of more uncertainty.
    The answer may be a little of both.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,635 Forumite
    Options

Although with such a small contribution ( in pension terms), splitting it will spread it even more thinly.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,619 Forumite
    Options

Although with such a small contribution ( in pension terms), splitting it will spread it even more thinly.
    Indeed, I was tempted to suggest £50/month (or more) into each, not splitting the existing £50/month.
    I appreciate not everyone currently has the scope to make large additional pension contributions - indeed a recent study has shown an alarming number of people currently opting out of (NHS) DB pension schemes as they cannot afford the monthly deductions :'(

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure