Senior Railcard - Anytime travel - Big Con!

One advantage of being marginally older  more mature, is getting a Senior Railcard to get 1/3 off train fares including peak times, and I quote from the Trainline website:

When can I use a Railcard?

Again, this depends on the type of Railcard you have. Generally, all Railcards can be used for discounted train fares during Off-Peak times, weekends, and public holidays. Some, like the age-related Railcards, can be used during Peak times with a minimum fare, and the Disabled Persons Railcard can be used at any time.

Now, call me old-fashioned traditional, but when it says that "some, like the age-related cards, can be used at peak times", I would assume that the age-related cards (Senior Railcard) can be used at peak times. Would you agree?

Also, it states elsewhere that the Senior Railcard can be used on "Anytime" tickets. 

A Senior Railcard gives you 1/3 off rail fares across Britain. Your discount covers the following fares and more:

-Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak and Advance ... etc

So, what are "Anytime Tickets"?...
looking at National Rail's website:

About Anytime tickets

You can buy Anytime tickets at any time before you travel, and you can use your Anytime ticket to travel on any train on the route shown. You can also break your journey at stations along the route.

Anytime tickets have no restrictions on what time you can travel. Anytime Singles allow you to travel within 2 days of the date shown on your ticket. Most Anytime Returns are valid for 5 days from the date shown on the 'outward' portion, and the for 1 calendar month on the 'return' portion. Some Anytime Return tickets may have a different validity period which will be made clear on the ticket itself and at the point of purchase.

Anytime Day Single and Anytime Day Return tickets are only valid on the date shown.

You can buy these tickets at any time before you travel.

So, I think it's safe to say, that Anytime tickets include peak times (no restrictions on what time you can travel), and that age-related Senior Railcard includes "Anytime" tickets. And that 'age-related' cards include peak travel.  Is that a fare [sic] assumption?  

So, I bought a three-year card...and Guess What, despite reading...

A Senior Railcard gives you 1/3 off rail fares across Britain. Your discount covers the following fares and more:

-Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak and Advance ... etc

then they add in the final sentence:

On weekdays, the discount is valid after the morning peak times (check locally as times differ).

I believe I have just been conned. Buyer Beware, they are deliberately setting out to deceive people like me!!!

Comments

• Senior Railcard does give you a discount on anytime tickets but not for journeys totally inside the Network Southeast area (a broad area but largely south east England). If you are travelling outside Network South East even if starting within it there is no restriction and you can travel at peak times.
  • Senior Railcard does give you a discount on anytime tickets but not for journeys totally inside the Network Southeast area (a broad area but largely south east England). If you are travelling outside Network South East even if starting within it there is no restriction and you can travel at peak times.
    my head is going to explode. It does seem unnecessarily complicated
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,239
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I have a 3 year senior railcard..for over 10 yrs now. 
    I travel weekly from Huddersfield to Manchester and get a third off either peak or off peak..also occasionally to Hull and Leeds. 
    Never had a problem and I kept a record once and over 3 yrs saved just over £400.
    Would have been much more if I travelled further 
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    your mistake was using thetrainline, which has always been terrible.

an actual official source is quite clear

https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

• Save on most tickets including Advance tickets
    • Valid in London & SE after the morning Peak
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 23,999
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Peak times with a minimum fare is what it says.

I'm going to guess this is like the 16-25 railcard which can be also be  used at peak times so long as the fare is a minimum of £12.

You'll have to read further into their ts and cs to see what the minimum fare is for peak time travel
  • No minimum fare on the senior railcard but there is on some other railcards.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 23,999
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No minimum fare on the senior railcard but there is on some other railcards.
    Ok, I've re-read what it says is 'some like the age-related railcards, can be used at peak times with a minimum fare' so the assumption is that some railcards, such as the age related cards will all have this facility. It's clumsily worded as it should read 'some age related cards can be used at peak times with a minimum fare'.   
  • I used to have the 16-25 railcard which gave me the same discount. I found that it would only apply to journeys that have a minimum cost of around £10. I'm pretty sure that peak/off-peak journeys had no effect but I don't know for sure if it works the same for the senior railcard. Best to check the T&Cs
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback