PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Non-slip carpet treads for stairs - anyone any experience?

Options
I have it in mind to have my stairs sanded and varnished... and then perhaps to use a set of these carpet treads to add comfort, reduce risk of slipping and stop the audible clatter. I'm sure proper carpeting would last longer but I've had that already for years and would like a change. These seem to be much cheaper and could be replaced at negligible cost every so often if they wear out.

Are there any minuses in the experience of people who have used them?

Posted this already on the DIY board but no response.

Comments

• weenancyinAmerica
    Options
    I bought carpet treads for our stairs - but my roommates won't let me install them. I would have thought it would have been safer, but one of the roommates thinks he will trip over the edges of them. Good luck at finding someone who has been successful putting them down.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven’t used carpet treads but used to have a carpet runner up the middle and wood either side the biggest fault was the dust on the wooden /painted bits 😂
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They are brilliant!  We've had ours 4 years and they still look like new (I'd recommend getting machine washable ones and washing them every few months, with normally vacuuming in between).

The only issue we've found is that, because they're not stuck down, it's difficult to get them perfectly aligned so that it looks neat (somehow there's always one stair that is slightly to one side!)

Just to show you what we have - although this specific brand isn't available anymore unfortunately:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0816ZHQWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Thinking outside the box, instead of carpet, if you wanted to keep the natural wooden feel we used these anti-slip tapes for stair treads which have turned out to be good and have lasted the test of time! Decent company who are happy to recommend solutions for this sort of thing. www.nonslipshop.co.uk/our-products/anti-slip-tape/anti-slip-tape-clear-600mm-x-100mm-pack-of-15/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback