do i have to sign and agree with his solicitors letter

Options
i am pregnant by someone who doest want me to have the baby, i have told them i am keeping the child and dont want or expect anything from them including financial help. they have contacted a solicitor and are saying they want me to sign a legal agreement that i will never claim child maintenance from them as they earn a lot of money. i have no intention of claiming child maintenance but i dont want to sign a document. can someone please help me as i cannot afford a solicitor as all my wages is being saved to buy things/support the baby and its a expense i can ill afford thank you in advance 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don’t have to sign anything that you don’t want to do. If he has requested a solicitor has sent out a letter then the solicitor has been paid to do that. Doesn’t mean that you have to comply.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It doesn't actually matter what they want, they can't tell you not to keep the child and they can't refuse to pay any legally required maintenance. Definitely don't sign anything. 
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds a right charmer.

Are you even sure it is genuinely from a solicitor? Whilst solicitors will often send letters out because they have a client asking them to do so asking you to sign away your maintenance rights in this way would, in my view, for what it's worth, be unenforceable anyway. 

That said they can't make you sign anything so simply ignore/define. 
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 October 2023 at 7:57AM
    Options
    Ignore it.

Also whilst you don't intend to claim maintenance you have a legal right to if he is the baby's father. I would keep all letters do not throw them away. That money is money to support the up bringing of his child.

Whilst you may not need it right now, why should your child go without during a time when you may not be able to work or afford to meet their needs.

It takes two to tango. Both should shoulder the responsibility if he intends to be absent then financial support is the very least he can do in the best interests of the child.

The fact a solicitor letter is something you cannot really afford (not that you need one) as you are saving for baby bits suggests that's he should be financially supporting this child 
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "they want me to sign a legal agreement" <= does not mean you have to!
    "someone who doest want me to have the baby" <= too late!

• prettyandfluffy
    Options
    As others have said, you don't have to sign it and you shouldn't sign it.  However keep that letter safe and also keep a copy of it separately, because if you ever need to ask for financial support - and none of know what lies ahead - it will be very important.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can say whatever you like but if you require government help in the future they will be expecting child support to be paid. For your childs sake you should keep this document as he acknowledges parenthood. You are emotially vulnerable at this time so do not sign anything from anyone.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    gwynlas said:
    You can say whatever you like but if you require government help in the future they will be expecting child support to be paid. For your childs sake you should keep this document as he acknowledges parenthood. You are emotially vulnerable at this time so do not sign anything from anyone.
    No they wont! 
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i have no intention of claiming child maintenance 
    You do not claim this for you, you claim it for your child. The child will be entitled to support from their father and, unless you are particularly wealthy, the additional money will add to their quality of life. I would question whether you should deny them that.     
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This path has been walked many, many times before, most will file for child maintenance soon after they take a breather and look at the situation rationally. I take it you are no longer with the father?

On an unrelated note, I find it astonishing that a solicitor would write such a letter (to the point of doubting whether it was genuinely written by a solicitor) and I'd be very interested in the legality of such an agreement.
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure