Reclaiming TV License for 6 years

Options
Apologies if this isn’t the right forum - Not really sure where this fits. 

Short version - Partner has only just got internet banking (madness) had it two months. 
Last week noticed while showing him how to use it that he’s been paying for a TV license for the house he lived in 6 years ago!! 

Call Tv license - Just asked me to swap it to the house we are in (no need I’ve have my own) 

told to fill out refund form - none of the options apply, I’ve tried 3 of them and it doesn’t let you go back that far - and if I put in the last date available - it’s say sorry no refund it due.. 

im now stuck on what I can do next. It was generally a crazy error - he thought he’s cancelled it along with all the other bills - never had internet banking and paid it every three months so never noticed it coming out the bank. 

Had we had not look the other day - He would have counties to pay this forever! 

The house has been had two owners since he left - last one after him had their own license. 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2023 at 11:49PM
    Options
    They will only refund two years if it’s the customer’s mistake. 

3. TV Licence is bought in error

Refunds can be given in respect of licences which are bought as a result of an error by the customer, usually because the licence holder does not require the type of licence they have bought. For example, if they have bought a licence when there is already one in place at the address. In these circumstances, the customer can normally claim up to two years' worth of refund. If the licence was bought in error as a result of advice given by TV Licensing, the customer can claim up to six years' worth of refund.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/legislation-and-policy-AB9#refund3

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I appreciate he didn't have internet banking, but presumably he did have (paper) statements he could have read to see he was still paying for the licence...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As @Elsien has said, he can only claim a refund going back 2 years.

As @Emmia has said, didn't he check his bank statement. Or did he think he was paying the licence because he believed you weren't and he was responsible for paying it.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mummy2211
    Mummy2211 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He’s never been good at anything paper related. Just knows what he gets paid and what he’s paying out - This was pre me - he just gives his accountant what he needs for his tax return each year and that was it. So never looked at his bank statements to see what he was paying out. Suppose he never really needed to. 

I have emailed Tv license and explained that none of their option apply - and sent off the council tax letter - so we will just await now. 

Having internet banking has some what opened his eyes to the 21st century 🤣 I couldn’t do it, I’m forever checking my bank to 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback