Does Fiburs not work with Netflix? Or just the brand of the TV?

Options
Hi everyone. I just really hope that someone experienced the same thing. I am using the Fiburs broadband, I really got no problem with it, it works wonderful. However, when I used my TV to watch Netflix, it did not load. I just recently bought my TV. Anyone experienced the same thing? What have you done to fix it?

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It should be absolutely nothing to do with your broadband, to confirm try and watch Netflix on another device connected to your WiFi. 

Are you sure the TV is connected to the Internet? 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What TV, and do you use any other streaming apps on it successfully (BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Discovery+, Paramount+ etc)? If they don't work it is likely your TV's connection to the network.

Broadband suppliers shouldn't be blocking Netflix, so test it on another device (Phone, Tablet, PC etc) on the same wifi (disconnect from a mobile service on a phone first).
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just really hope that someone experienced the same thing. I am using the Fiburs broadband, I really got no problem with it, it works wonderful. However, when I used my TV to watch Netflix, it did not load. I just recently bought my TV. Anyone experienced the same thing? What have you done to fix it?
    Do you have a laptop, smart phone or any other device you can connect to the wifi and check if they can stream Netflix via the app or website?

In my experience, Netflix etc in TV apps start off being bad when you first buy the TV and get worse as time goes on, even in top of the range models. Devices like FireStick, AppleTV etc are just consistently much better and full support continues for years. 
  • haikyu_143
    Options
    la531983 said:
    It should be absolutely nothing to do with your broadband, to confirm try and watch Netflix on another device connected to your WiFi. 

Are you sure the TV is connected to the Internet? 
    Yes, I made sure that it is connected to wifi, and when I tried other internet source, it worked. So, I am really thinking that it's the compatibility of the TV? So, maybe, I will start looking.
  • haikyu_143
    Options
    400ixl said:
    What TV, and do you use any other streaming apps on it successfully (BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Discovery+, Paramount+ etc)? If they don't work it is likely your TV's connection to the network.

Broadband suppliers shouldn't be blocking Netflix, so test it on another device (Phone, Tablet, PC etc) on the same wifi (disconnect from a mobile service on a phone first).
    I have tried the other app. I am so loyal with Netflix. But, I think, I might have to do that just to make sure that it's not the broadband. Cos I am really thinking that it's my TV. 
  • haikyu_143
    Options
    Do you have a laptop, smart phone or any other device you can connect to the wifi and check if they can stream Netflix via the app or website?

In my experience, Netflix etc in TV apps start off being bad when you first buy the TV and get worse as time goes on, even in top of the range models. Devices like FireStick, AppleTV etc are just consistently much better and full support continues for years. 
    Oh, I see. Our TV is a bit old, but connecting it to the broadband is kinda new. So, this gives me hope that it may take time to fully work. Thanks. This is really helpful.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Oh, I see. Our TV is a bit old, but connecting it to the broadband is kinda new. So, this gives me hope that it may take time to fully work. Thanks. This is really helpful.
    That is not what is being said
    Netflix etc in TV apps start off being bad when you first buy the TV and get worse as time goes on,
    It is never going to get better.  Unfortunately TV manufacturers stop updating the apps after a few years and the provider is likely to not allow access to their service with some outdated apps. I have got an old TV and Netflix just about still works, some other inbuilt apps have stopped altogether. You would need to get a third party plug in device, usually much better than the TV anyway.

• haikyu_143
    Options
    molerat said:

Netflix etc in TV apps start off being bad when you first buy the TV and get worse as time goes on,
    It is never going to get better.  Unfortunately TV manufacturers stop updating the apps after a few years and the provider is likely to not allow access to their service with some outdated apps. I have got an old TV and Netflix just about still works, some other inbuilt apps have stopped altogether. You would need to get a third party plug in device, usually much better than the TV anyway.

I think, this is what happened to our unit. It's really the compatibility. I am on search now of buying new TV sets that I can enjoy watching Netflix using fibrus.
  • snowmen
    snowmen Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 October 2023 at 11:02AM
    Options
    If your tv has a hdmi port it might just be worth buying a firestick rather than a new tv. You will be able to connect to Netflix via an app on the firestick after the firestick has been connected to the internet.
    No doubt amazon will have firesticks on offer during their big deal days next Tues and Weds.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2023 at 11:56AM
    Options
    molerat said:

I think, this is what happened to our unit. It's really the compatibility. I am on search now of buying new TV sets that I can enjoy watching Netflix using fibrus.
    Buying a new TV may only be a short term fix though, in a couple of years you may be in the same situation.  An add on stick can often be bought for around £20 and if it does lose compatibility along the line you throw it away and get a new one, a lot cheaper than having to do the same with a TV.
    My oldest Firestick was purchased in 2017 and all the apps are still working fine - the 2 TVs purchased in 2015 not so well, even some of the basic TV channel catch up apps they came with no longer work, and started going flaky a few years in.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback