Porting to Northern Ireland issue

I have currently sold my house in Scotland and am looking to Port my mortgage with Platform to a Property in Northern Ireland as I want to keep my low interest rate as well as not pay the fee's for ending.

Platform had no problem with me porting until I said Northern Ireland at which point they said I cannot port to Northern Ireland but if I already had the house in Northern Ireland I could port to a different property there. That does not sound right to me and I am not sure how Brexit would have any impact (I don't think it should).

Has anybody heard anything about this before? I am going to write to Platform questioning this but time is tight to say the least

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2023 at 10:49AM
    Its nothing to do with Brexit. 
    Do they lend in Northern Ireland? 
    DID they historically lend in Northern Ireland? 

If they did but no longer do, the risk is no greater as the debt is already secured in NI and so they would allow you to port. 
    If they currently do but will not allow you to port, I can understand your argument. It might be something to do with the funding line maybe. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • hupik
    hupik Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reply it's interesting to get some insider knowledge and helps.

I did not think Brexit would be an issue but I thought I should mention it incase someone brought it up. 

I cannot see anything which would suggest they do not lend in Northern Ireland but the flip side to that is that I cannot see anything that says they do. 
  • hupik
    hupik Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It would seem I am incorrect, their website when applying for a new Mortgage states that the house must be in England, Scotland or Wales. 
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    hupik said:
    It would seem I am incorrect, their website when applying for a new Mortgage states that the house must be in England, Scotland or Wales. 
    You did better than me. I could not find their lending areas. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback