Overseas Dental Treatment

Options
NCC1701-A
NCC1701-A Posts: 357 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 3 October 2023 at 11:26AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had any recent experience of getting something like a crown done overseas (Europe) recently.  I've found some old threads (10+ years) and google is jammed full of sponsored posts so I would rather hear recommendations from anyone that has actually done it recently.  

By way of background, my NHS dentist cancelled my check up in June as they've lost two from their practice but will not offer another appointment unless I'm in pain, but will happily offer (very expensive) private treatment, hence why I'm thinking about other solutions.  

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• brook2jack2
    brook2jack2 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 October 2023 at 5:47PM
    Options
    I have seen a lot of work done abroad. 

Some of it is excellent quality because the people who had it done lived in that country , developed a relationship with that dentist , did not get involved in dental tourism and valued their dental health. 

Some of it life changingly bad. Done in dental tourism centres where its treatment all in one hit , massively over treated (people getting 28 crowns when they thought they were getting veneers etc ) and leaving people with problems that the NHS will not fix and they cannot afford to get fixed Privately as they spent all their money getting the treatment in the first place. 

You get the best treatment from a dentist you develop a long term relationship with who can treat and advise you how to maintain your dental health. 

Many problems such as gum disease , dental decay are not a one time treatment but require months or years of treatment and advice. 

Most recently I have seen people who lost their jobs because of dental tourism . They were required to be off shore for long periods and as they had had treatment done abroad which caused so many problems they had constant pain and dental emergencies and so were not fit for work. The employer provides dental treatment but specifically excludes repairing work done abroad as part of dental tourism . 

Incidentally , it is nigh on impossible to get health travel insurance to cover you if you are travelling for dental/health tourism . 

If things go wrong abroad you will have to negotiate a foreign legal system which is very different from the U.K. Here are some things you might want to consider https://www.gdc-uk.org/docs/default-source/going-abroad-for-dental-treatment/going-abroad-for-your-dental-cared3d463b7cee0446882bf877483299dd4.pdf?sfvrsn=c67e2b57_7

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback