The Sun wordsearch winner - advice

Options
BlueBella
BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 2 October 2023 at 3:13PM in Compers chat corner
Hi, I received an email from The Sun informing me that I have won £50 after entering their wordsearch competition.  The are requesting my bank details so thay can pay me by baks, straight into my bank account.  I am always dubious about giving anyone my bank details so could i ask if anyone has received a similar email from the Sun regarding their wordsearch, arroword or crossword comps?  Thanks The email is from olivia.brett@the-sun.co.uk

:TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea

Comments

• JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    BlueBella said:
    Hi, I received an email from The Sun informing me that I have won £50 after entering their wordsearch competition.  The are requesting my bank details so thay can pay me by baks, straight into my bank account.  I am always dubious about giving anyone my bank details so could i ask if anyone has received a similar email from the Sun regarding their wordsearch, arroword or crossword comps?  Thanks The email is from olivia.brett@the-sun.co.uk

if you enter from here, it states on the post that they now pay by Bacs, they cannot draw money out of your account with only the account No and sort code
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • BlueBella
    Options
    Thanks Jambo.  I did a search on Loquax winners and apparentely the email is legit - so if anyone wins with the sun and receive an email from Olivia Brett asking for bank details, then it is legit!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BlueBella said:

Hi - I won Sports Quiz a few years ago and got an email from a different person @the-sun.co.uk asking me to "Please provide the following details then we can get you set up as a payee for your £50 prize." - name, address, bank name, account number and sort code. The sender's details including their email address were in the email signature so I made sure I was replying to that address, and received the £50 soon afterwards. 

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is the correct email address.

I won in 2019 and again earlier this year. In both cases the meat of the email was:
    You have won £50

We only pay our winners via BACS.

Can you please send over the following information to arrange payment:

Name
    Address
    Bank Account
    Sort Code
    Bank Name
    Branch Address

Once I have this information payment will go through within the month.

We do not keep your information on record.

After replying, I received a second email within hours saying that the payment was being processed, and received the money a few days later.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    BlueBella said:

So presumably you don’t like writing cheques either as they contain the same details
  • BlueBella
    Options
    BlueBella said:

So presumably you don’t like writing cheques either as they contain the same details
    She also asked for my name, my full address, which I don't recall ever writing on a cheque - and I cannot remember the last time I ever wrote out a check?  - over 20 years ago!
  • annat
    annat Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    the details are checked by the bank to make sure the transfer goes to the correct person
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback