Santander Basic Bank Account

I wasn't sure to ask about this here or in bank account forum, but thought maybe there would be a few  people here who have experienced the same as me.

I opened my Santander Basic Bank Account in 2018 when I started my DMP.

Originally my Santander "Top Up" debit account was a Visa account, but later Santander changed it to Master Card.       Since then I have not been able to buy anything online with the card, it is always rejected and I have to ask my partner to buy online for me.

I have never tried to use the card to pay "cashless" in a shop, I am too anxious about the card being rejected, particularly in light of my experience online.    I always pay cash in shops.

More and more shops are going cashless and I would like to be able to use my card in these shops
 as well as using it online.

I feel really pathetic but don't know where to start.    I have awful mental health and speaking on the telephone is very difficult for me.   I think what I really want to know is whether any other Santander Basic Bank Account holders have had these problems and how did they resolve them.  

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,462
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try getting a Co-op basic account. Mine allows both on-line purchases and bank transfers. I did have to request both and they have a load of security questions/passwords/ID verifiers and one time passwords when I set up a new receiver.

I deliberately don't have cashless on this card but was offered

Or go into Santander and ask whether you can have cashless/on line on your existing account.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,543
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    This from the Santander website -

"Your Basic Current Account is your bank account for paying money in (any income) and making payments from/withdrawing money out of your account (to pay bills or your rent for instance).

By opening a Basic Current Account: you will get a separate Top-Up Debit Card Account, which comes with a card (the ‘Top-Up card’), and you will also receive a cash card.

Whilst you will be able to view and manage your Basic Current Account and your Top-Up card separately, they will be linked so that you can easily transfer money between the two. Once you have paid money into your Top-Up card, you can use it online, in shops or to withdraw cash at cash machines.

Please note that neither the cash card nor the Top-Up card are contactless cards"
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,359
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you tried looking at getting another bank account, Starling, Monzo, Chase or Nationwide for example. I've had accounts with all of them with bad credit record and they have all offered contactless payment.
  • Excuse my ignorance - I am feeling like a real dummy here - it says that the top up card is contactless but does that mean that I could use it in a shop by inputting my PIN number?   

I'd like to try it out but fear the embarrassment of the card being refused.   

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,543
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    It does seem like you have to jump through hoops with Santander for a basic bank account.

The other posters are right, other banks accounts are a lot easier to use.

The Santander website says both cards are non contactless cards, unless that has changed since this information was written, if yours is contactless, and the transaction is declined, all you have to do is enter your pin, all pretty straightforward.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 800
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2023 at 2:48PM
    I have a basic Santander account.opened it incase the RBS bank do a wages grab on a RBS  debt I owe on my dmp in my RBS account..they didnt .
    but the  big confusion on Santander site and the actual advice from call centre.basically you get 2 cards.one is for withdrawing money from cash points.the other is for buying things online.at checkouts etc.but that card needs money in it transferred from your bank account balance before you go shopping etc.. none are contactless. I always use my RBS rewards account.but my Santander is active but has no money in it.
    what you have to remember is .it isn't like say your wages go in and then you think I will go to Tesco and shop.no you have to transfer money from your acct into the card.then go shopping up to the limit and (use your pin number ) you just transferred.

and if you speak to call centre I am sure I was speaking to a Spanish person
    that was confusing.considerimg I am Scottish.had to repeat questions numerous times before they understood 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,462
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Very much sounds like you need an account with a different bank.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,359
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RAS said:
    Very much sounds like you need an account with a different bank.

Agreed - I can't see any reason for creating such a headache.
  • bcs7
    bcs7 Posts: 23
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When I originally set up my DMP I was with Lloyds bank but as the vast majority of my debt was with them in the form of an overdraft, 2 credit cards and a loan, I ended up transferring to a Santander account.

I have a 123 Lite account with them although it’s not available to new customers as they’ve replaced it. There is a £2 a month fee but the account gives cash back on various direct debits so that covers the cost with a little left over. The account has both debit and cash cards and they are normal contactless rather than top ups.

im in the process of changing over to a Santander Edge account which is similar giving cash back for a monthly fee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback