IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

POPLA appeal good enough?

Options
Hi - Looking for some feedback on my POPLA appeal

First appeal grounds:
a) Approval from restaurant acknowledging the delay
b) Blue badge occupant
Date of appeal rejected 06 Sept 23
Driver responsibility not accepted.

Another charge few days apart (with identical evidence) was appealed and accepted by Highview but this was rejected hence i decided to go to POPLA.
Main Grounds of POPLA appeal:

Ground 1: The entrance signs for the regular entry and signs in this car park are not prominent, clear or legible from all parking spaces.  

Ground 2: The sign does not comply with BPA Code of Practice

Ground 3: Landowner’s authority to waive the Parking charge has been ignored by Highview Parking limited.

Ground 4: Grace Period: BPA Code of Practice–non-compliance. Occupant was a blue badge holder

Ground 5: Failure to comply with “Surveillance Camera Code of Practice” applicable to ANPR (Purpose of ANPR, Impact assessment, aim and need, public information on complaints). A serious BPA CoP breach.

Ground 6: Non compliance with UK GDPR

Ground 7: No Evidence of Period Parked – NtK does not meet PoFA 2012 requirements

Ground 8: No Evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the BPA Code of Practice

Attached full appeal: //docdro.id/Dh6yHTA

Any feedback would be very helpful.
Thanks

Comments

• bjazzy
    bjazzy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    unable to post link of my full appeal. Pls replace "x" with "https:"     x//docdro.id/Dh6yHTA
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oh you have won that at first appeal here !
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You need to make it your very first point that as Highview's Notice to Keeper does not comply with Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (Schedule 4), you cannot be held liable for the charge as the registered keeper (provided you did not identify the driver in your initial appeal to Highview!). 

But, your point being that is not PoFA compliant is less to do with 'No evidence of period parked' (weak, never seen POPLA come off the fence on that, but still leave it in to see if they bite).  The most powerful points are: a) Failure to issue the required warning as per PoFA para 9(2)(f) and b) failure to deliver the NtK within the prescribed time limit as per PoFA 9(4)(b) and 9(5).

What did you say in your initial appeal to Highview - verbatim - please?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your link made live:
    One observation the GSV screen grabs are from October 21 which they might pick up on, and none of your own photos are date stamped which POPLA don't like.

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @Umkomaas, that image we have been shown is a reminder.
    The reminder says that a NtK was sent on 14th July, just ten days after the date of the alleged parking event - 4th July.
    Also, does a reminder need to have any specific wording?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    KeithP said:
    The reminder says that a NtK was sent on 14th July, just ten days after the date of the alleged parking event - 4th July.
    Thanks @KeithP, missed that. A Reminder does not PoFA-specific wording. @bjazzy, let us have sight of your original Notice to Keeper (redacted of identifiers), front and back, but leave all dates visible. Do not use my suggested POPLA appeal point until we have seen the original NtK. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bjazzy
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    KeithP said:
    Thanks @KeithP, missed that. A Reminder does not PoFA-specific wording. @bjazzy, let us have sight of your original Notice to Keeper (redacted of identifiers), front and back, but leave all dates visible. Do not use my suggested POPLA appeal point until we have seen the original NtK. 
    Verbatim copy of the appeal which was rejected by Highview (blue badge and email from landowner was attached as has also been attached in the POPLA appeal)

Back side of the REMINDER

I never got the original NTK for this alleged offence. However i did get another NTK for the same parking location which was appealed with identical reasons and allowed by High view. In my POPLA appeal i have NOT mentioned about this.
     Front and back of this NTK are below

In my Highview appeal i did not mention PoFA as it seems the notice was compliant w.r.t Para 9(2)(b). Reading the first NTK (had i received it) it seems compliant with para9(2)(a) but Reminder is not. Sounds like i would need to remove the PoFa ground from my Popla appeal as it would deemed that i received the first NTK.

Re Data Protection text on the back of the NTK and Reminder, is that sufficient for compliance?

Re photos - I will try find a way to put time stamp or click my own and not use google maps
    Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,903 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why does it say you ticked 'driver'?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • bjazzy
    Options
    Why does it say you ticked 'driver'?
    I did not but in the acknowledgment it shows. When we go the appealpcn site and enter the number it gives you the option to select if you are the driver or if you want to pay the fine. I did not select either and chose file appeal. 
  • bjazzy
    Options
    No they didnt.

Response to appeal below

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income