Contractual sick pay

Could anyone tell me if non working days count towards the 4 waiting days for sick pay please? It appears they do on the government website but work is saying not. Also if the sick pay period is 12 weeks I presume that does include non working days? Thank you

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,937
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    vix2000 said:
    Could anyone tell me if non working days count towards the 4 waiting days for sick pay please? It appears they do on the government website but work is saying not. Also if the sick pay period is 12 weeks I presume that does include non working days? Thank you
    Your heading is 'contractual sick pay', so I wonder if there's a wire crossed here?

Statutory Sick Pay is a statutory entitlement (as the name suggests) and the conditions are set out here: https://www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay/eligibility-and-form-ssp1

Contractual sick pay is often at the discretion of the employer, but your terms of employment should have details of what can be expected, and what discretions the employer has. They can require you to be off sick for a given period of time/working days depending on what the contract stipulates, and can limit the duration/conditions for continuing payment of sick pay.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,012
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If it is SSP  (statutory sick pay which is the minimum sick pay that an employer must pay )  you are referring to then the four days you refer to are the qualifying condition for a PIW (period of incapacity for work)  A PIW must exist before SSP can be considered and that PIW has to be four consecutive days of sickness when no work is done.  These four days can be non-working days but that does no affect what is paid it just starts the SSP process.  
    The actual payment of SSP depends on your QDs (qualifying days) which in almost all cases will be the days you normally work.  The first three of those QDs are called waiting days and no payment id due for them unless the new QD links within 8 weeks of the ending of an old QD.  Payment of SSP would then begin on the fourth QD.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback