Newbie dealing with PRA.

Hi, 

I have ended up with a signifcant debt on a CC which has been handed to PRA. I have requested bank statements from the issuer of the CC, and after many months I am told that they are on their way to me. 

I should say that the debt arose after some misuse by a family member. 

I am reluctant to pay off the full hit, as it is largely interest and i need a reserve of money to deal with other likely financial issues which will come my way due to family issues. 

I am reluctant to disclose my finances as they dont give a true picture of my family financial situation, though on the face of they look ok. 

My credit rating is through the floor due to is one debt, it is usually excellent. 

2 questions.

1. How likley are PRA just to accept a partial offer without digging into my finance?

2. Will a part payment in F and F settlement sort my credit rating? 

Thanks !

Comments

• i think the usual procedure is to send them £1 and request the consumer credit agreement, which hopefully they cant supply, so the debt becomes unenforceable in court. Stop paying them anything, block their phonecalls sit tight and wait 6 years until it becomes statute barred.
  • Hi, that is really helpful. They did send a copy of the original agreement (unsigned). And now say the statements are en route. presumably if I sit tight my credit rating remains rubbish? 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,221
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    One default shouldn't ruin your credit file. What date did they record?

If you can afford it, it sounds like a F&F is the way to go. Make them an offer in writing. You don't have to give them any info you don't want to. You can often finalise the deal by phone but make sure you get it in writing from them
  • many thanks. date of default is April last year , 3k debt then 5k worth of interest. it is the only issue i have according to 3 different credit agencies 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback