Car Allowance when leaving

Hi,
I've recently left a job. I worked 9 days in September and had 5 days holiday pay accrued, which was paid to me.
I also had a Car Allowance. I was paid the 9 days worth of Car Allowance for the days I worked but not for the 5 days holiday pay accrued?
Should I have been paid this extra 5 days as well?

Comments

• El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,422
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It depends on the company’s policy and if this is covered in your contract. 

I’d say it’s probably worth checking with your ex-employer. It might be a mistake by payroll. 
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,583
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I doubt it - car allowance is paid whether you work or not - so it's sort of already been paid.

Holiday pay is not for additional days added onto the end of your contract end date, but compensation for the days you worked but should have taken off as holiday.

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,905
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I've recently left a job. I worked 9 days in September and had 5 days holiday pay accrued, which was paid to me.
    I also had a Car Allowance. I was paid the 9 days worth of Car Allowance for the days I worked but not for the 5 days holiday pay accrued?
    Should I have been paid this extra 5 days as well?

Not unless your contract specifically provides for it, which is unlikely. See https://www.acas.org.uk/final-pay-when-someone-leaves-a-job/how-holidays-affect-final-pay
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,593
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So in a month where you take holiday do they pro-rata your car allowance for those days?

If not then you have been paid your car allowance for the days you have worked the payment is in no way connected to your holiday payment.
  • Thank you all for the advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure