MSE Poll: How much do you plan to spend this Christmas?

Options
MSE_Rosie
MSE_Rosie Posts: 34 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 27 September 2023 at 10:46AM in MoneySaving polls
A couple of weeks ago, we marked 100 days until the big C-day. As the calendar ticks down, we want to know how much you're planning to spend this year (if anything), and whether you've started saving up for the big day. 

Let us know in this week's poll

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Can't see the link to it, neither of the highlighted points lead to it.
  • MSE_Rosie
    Options
    Sorry about that! That should be fixed now
  • gloriouslyhappy
    gloriouslyhappy Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 September 2023 at 11:21PM
    Options
    I take out a regular saver account every November and pay in the maximum £250 monthly. Current interest rate is 7%! When it matures on the anniversary of its opening, it's spent on Christmas, all the car stuff (MOT, insurance, service, road tax, breakdown) and the first payment into a new reg saver to replace it. Any leftovers are put into a separate savings account which is used to pay winter fuel bills.

It's my favourite way of saving - I can manage the £250 monthly but if times get tight, you can drop the monthly payments down to £25 and make it up later if you wish. The £3000 maturity value plus interest feels like a big free money windfall. 
  • cardriver98
    Options
    I decided long ago that Xmas is so overrated,  and we all had more than enough of "stuff" that nobody exchanges gifts.
    Send or email cards ! Works wonderfully ! And saves pounds, heartache and tears. (NO kids have been harmed by these actions. lol)
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This year me and my family are deciding to go away to do something different. So have agreed that we will spend less on each others's gifts as a result. So this year I will probably look to spend around £50 on each family member (3 of them). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback