Topping up shortly before SP claim letter is due
I’m helping a friend who is not computer literature with claiming her State Pension. She reaches SPA during February 2024, so should receive her claim letter in the next few weeks. She had a shortfall when I checked her forecast recently. My friend phoned DWP and HMRC and has the reference number and details to pay 2 post 2016 years. She is planning to make the payment in a bank branch this week as she doesn’t do online banking.
How quickly are HMRC likely to update her NI record and SP forecast?
As the claim letter is usually sent 4 months prior to SPA, is it a good idea to delay claiming until the NI record is updated? The SP will be entirely based on her own NI record with no inheritance.
- All Categories
- 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 449.2K Spending & Discounts
- 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 172.5K Life & Family
- 246.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards