Is there an actually proven way to make hair grow thicker/longer?

Options
My hair is awful :( I've always had very thin, fine hair but since having a baby 7 months ago, it's now almost see through it's so fine. It's now shoulder length and refusing to grow any further. As a teen it was fine but nowhere near this bad, and I managed to get it to middle of back length. I'd love to try and get it back there if I can. 

I barely ever use heat on my hair and if I do I use a good heat treatment spray. I sleep with it up either in a plait or a loose bun (I've heard recently that the loose bun is better?). I only brush it with a soft WetBrush or comb it through in the shower with a wide toothed comb. Because it's so fine it gets very greasy very quickly but I wash it roughly 3 times a week (maybe 4 if I've done an extra gym session or run). I've heard rosemary oil might work but also that it can irritate the scalp? Or even that taking vitamins is the way forward? 

Currently using some random cheap shampoo and conditioner from B and M - a Tresemme knock off I think. I'm happy to invest a little more in good shampoo/condition/vitamins/products if they work because it's getting me down but I don't want to waste money. 
£2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

Comments

• DigForVictory
    Options
    By all means change your shampoo & conditioner if you want, but the only things that help your hair are what you eat & drink & how much sleep you get & as a new parent that's a crap-shoot. (Been there, still have some hair although its now streaking white.)
    Short term, consider a generic multivite (Not targeted at hair & nails - bear in mind snake oil salesmen got that nickname not at all by chance) but remember a healthy diet is better for you (and your family) than any supplement.
    Medium term - next you go to a hairdresser you trust & who knows you, share you concerns but listen & do not feel you have to buy every product - ask for samples! (Anything that feel amazing & effective you can then ask for for Christmas/birthdays etc)
    Long term - one of the biggest problems with hair growth is you really can worry it all away. So try to eat well, worry les & enjoy what you have.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I found that the best thing I used was Avon hair treatment products and then they discontinued them. They do still do a spray.

I've tried Nioxin (expensive and didn't work) tried capsules claiming to make hair and nails stronger, currently trying an Oriflame 3 step version (affordable like avoid was - I'm not a rep etc)

Only a week in and they says should notice a difference within 8 . Have the same issue with thin fine hair that goes greasy. So demoralising :(

So far though I've found nothing is good solution 
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have used nioxin for years and find it does work.  I buy it in litre bottles from tkmax when they have it in.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    The thing that has the most effect on hair is hormones, and nutrition (vitamins, minerals).  You can't make your scalp grow more follicles, so physically thicker hair is only possible if it's thinned through hormonal imbalance and/or low levels of nutrients, and if there's a way to combat that.

You had a baby 7 months ago, presumably the main thinning right now is a result of postpartum shed (hormones)?  So while you wait for the regrowth, it might be useful to have an overview of hair and how best to try and retain length.  And best in mind the average growth rate is ~½" per month, so the regrowth won't be quick.

Hairdressers won't know beyond that basics.  Only a trichologist will have any real idea, and even then they can't always do much about it.

I'd suggest getting blood tests if possible* to check your thyroid and other hormones, and then you will know if it's a medical problem possible to treat.  Also vitamins and nutrients -  low levels of vitamin D, B vitamins, Iron (iron is a big one) can all contribute to growing more fragile hair.  You also need to be eating enough protein and getting enough hydration, and eating enough in general so your body has enough energy and nutrients to spare to grow healthy hair.  The current understanding is that hair is a non-vital process (like nails) so the body prioritises the important things first and then hair and nails get whatever's spare.  That's why with prolonged illness people's hair can stop growing so well.

*Not particularly moneysaving if you have to pay for them privately, I know.  But if you can do it, you'll have a good idea of where you're starting anyway.

Mechanical damage, heat damage, and chemical damage are the other big culprits where length is concerned; securing a plait or bun with hair elastics will kill the ends but with a soft scrunchie would be okay.  For a plait you can incorporate a ribbon in the last few stitches then tie it round the tassel.  Also wearing it down so it rubs on clothing can make it wear away from the friction (especially if it's fragile to start with).  Satin pillowcases are best too, not cotton.

Heat protectants aren't that grand - hair is made of keratin the same as skin and nails, and if you sprayed the protectant on your skin and touched heat tools, they'd still burn you.  Your hair just doesn't feel it because it doesn't have nerves.  Using a hairdryer on warm but not so hot you can't hold your hand in the air flow is fine.

Chemical damage - have you bleached/dyed/relaxed/permed it in the last ~3yrs?

All damage is cumulative, products claiming to repair hair are … misleading.  (Don't know if I'm allowed to say their claims are outright lies?  Most of them have an asterisk by the claim to define what they mean by 'repair' and it's not what we would think of as repairing.)  Even things like Olaplex, bond builders which have the deepest and most structural effect, aren't permanent.  That said, the products we use can have an effect - hair needs enough protein to hold a structure, and enough moisture to retain the protein.  Cheap products may well have decent amounts of protein in; one conditioner I use as a protein conditioner is from Aldi, so it's more about ingredients than price or brand.

My brain's melted now but I'd suggest also checking out the Long Hair Community who have a wealth of community knowledge about healthy hair and how to retain length  https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forum.php
  • kiss_me_now9
    Options
    Many thanks all! @DigForVictory I was very good at taking my vitamins for a while, but have dropped off with this. Will start retaking them and hope it has an effect. 

@Spoonie_Turtle your paragraph about eating/drinking enough has hit home. My diet is awful atm - I either don't have time to eat properly, or I choose to go for things that are comforting over nutritious. I will try and get some softer scrunchies, I'm currently using an oversized satin one but the elastic is quite tight. I tend to leave my hair down during the day. I don't heat dry it that often, maybe once a week or even once a fortnight. I have dyed my hair twice in the last year though. I will check that forum out, thanks! 
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I seem to remember that while pregnant my hair was gloriously thick as it didn't get naturally shed, but came out once the babies did. Give your body time - your hormones were all over the place for 9 months, so it stands to reason it would take that length of time to regain your body's natural balance.

Also, advice from my hairdresser for my thinning hair (due to hormone cancer treatment) was only wash it twice a week max, and consider a restyle with a regular trim (and a hit of pampering for a new mum is slways good!).
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family