Council Tax - Property Empty

Options
Hi, I was just wondering what happens in the following situation.

My brother has died and there is a final council tax bill for a period the property was empty.

How far can the council go in trying to reclaim the money owed?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the money will be due from the estate unless the estate is insolvent. Who is the executor?
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am but there is very little money
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Was the house rented or did he own it? If rented then the responsibility falls back to the owner on the occupants death.

If he owned it then it comes out of the estate, although it may have to wait until the house is sold.

In either case there should have been an exemption lasting up to 6 months from the date probate was obtained.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,645 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 September 2023 at 4:30PM
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    I am but there is very little money
    You seem to be using a second user ID to post a question you already asked in this post.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6465469/council-tax-for-empty-property#latest

Not only is it against the rules, but you are bound to be found out if you use your second ID to start a thread but answer a question with the other one 😲

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As executor it is your job to settle debts owed by the estate. So if you cannot pay the CT bill out of monies in the estate you will have to wait for the property to be sold to settle the (increasing daily) CT bill. Fail to settle it at your peril.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback