Seeking orthodontic help and guidance

Options

Hi all,

I’m seeking advice as I currently have fixed metal braces (done privately) which are broken with the metal wire hanging out, I am able to move the metal wire back in place but it continues to fall out of the bracket and cuts into my mouth and gums.

I’ve contacted the orthodontist who told me not to return and there is nothing else they can do for me.

The issue is, the orthodontist has left the braces on for just over 2 years and they are aware the braces are broken and were broken more than 12 months ago yet, they are still ignoring my calls and emails. I’ve even physically shown up at the practice and was told to hang on and then another staff member came out and advised me that I’m no longer a patient at this practice.

I’ve spent the last two years paying for private appointments with various orthodontists whom all advised me to return to the original orthodontist as the treatment is not complete. I explained to the orthodontist at these private appointments that the original orthodontist refuses to treat me or remove the broken braces as a result, the orthodontist from the private appointments also refuse to intervene or refer me to any other orthodontist or hospital to get the braces removed or to get the correct treatment.

Therefore, I have contacted solicitors who advised me the only option is no win, no fee and it could take years to resolve legally and even the solicitors wouldn’t be able to help me get treatment.

I’ve tried the route of seeking help from the NHS dental hospitals in London and they have told me that as this was done privately they cannot help. I’ve even contacted the GDC and feel that I’ve been given the run around and have been told they cannot order the orthodontist to complete the treatment or even at a minimum refer me to the hospital for treatment.

As a law abiding citizen in the UK, I’m very disappointed with the treatment I’ve received and I’m so lost and scared that professionals in the field of orthodontics cannot or will not help me and I’ll never get the treatment I need. My gums, jaws, nose and neck are in constant pain and I’m struggling to talk and eat with this affecting my day to day living for more than a year.

I’m reaching out to see if anyone knows how I can get treatment or an orthodontist that will take over and either complete the existing treatment or perform a new corrective treatment plan, please help and let me know.

Thank you

Comments

• brook2jack2
    Options
    This is a very strange situation as the only reason that an orthodontist would refuse to see someone normally is if there has been a breakdown of the professional relationship eg you have had a disagreement or there is money owed. 

No dental hospital will take over private treatment and I wonder if the relationship with your original orthodontist has broken down if you best bet is to see an orthodontist to have the brace taken off and start again. 

The GDC cannot force a dentist to complete treatment but if you have a complaint about private treatment the private complaints service acts as a free, quick service to arbitrate between you and the orthodontist . https://dcs.gdc-uk.org/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback