Long-term empty change?

Options
Slumbershade
Slumbershade Posts: 695 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
If the house that gets the long-term empty class is changed into an airbnb/short term rental then I think the owner is still liable for the council tax, but would it lose the long-term empty status?

Thanks.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Of course it would, its no longer empty! 
  • Slumbershade
    Options
    Yeah, but it's the government innit. I can't suume logic operates in this space.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2023 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Yeah, but it's the government innit. I can't suume logic operates in this space.
    But there is a logic and a very crafty one
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Slumbershade
    Options
    how so though? 
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    how so though? 
    Councils get more revenue and thus Central Government can reduce the amount of the grants they give to  councils. Also it encourages owners not to leave their properties empty and thus help relieve the housing crisis
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Slumbershade
    Options
    how so though? 
    Councils get more revenue and thus Central Government can reduce the amount of the grants they give to  councils. Also it encourages owners not to leave their properties empty and thus help relieve the housing crisis
    Seems a lot of richer people get someone to lie about living in more expensive properties and just leave the place empty for capital growth.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    how so though? 
    Seems a lot of richer people get someone to lie about living in more expensive properties and just leave the place empty for capital growth.
    You have proof of this?

The property market is very volatile, can go down as well as up and CT still has to be paid.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback