gift vouchers to buy fuel?

Options
I have a friend who likes to drive, and wondered if you can buy vouchers from shell/bp etc to pay for fuel?
I dont see this as much different to coffee vouchers or clothes shops,it just depends what someone likes doing right?
Does anyone know if you can buy fuel gift cards or pre paid cards for fuel?

Comments

• dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just give them the cash? Its a lot easier and there's no chance that it will expire etc. If they are doing as much driving as you say then you know you are contributing to that s they will be buying that regardless.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,131 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A google doesn't show anything about a fuel voucher card for me.  I did then try to look at the T&Cs of something like a Tesco gift card but there's something in the T&Cs that says they can be used online or in shops and I don't think that would include buying petrol.  But even if it didn't your friend would be able to use it for groceries and then have the extra cash to pay for petrol.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • tiger135
    tiger135 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know what your saying but with anything else its normal to buy vouchers, I just dont know why fuel is never an option? like you said m&s, tesco and sainsburys vouchers specifically do not allow fuel purchases. I just wonder why, as its a product like anything else.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 September 2023 at 5:59PM
    Options
    https://www.tesco.com/help/pages/in-store-faqs/payment-coupons-and-vouchers/tesco-gift-cards
    Tesco gift cards can be used to buy items in-store, including at Tesco Cafés. They can also be used for fuel, excluding Esso fuel, when paid for at the kiosk.

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,883 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    John Lewis gift cards can be used in Waitrose petrol stations if this helps, or at least they were a few years ago. Maybe check. 
  • tiger135
    tiger135 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it also looks ok to buy a e gift card and use at tesco petrol station:

Tesco e-Gift Card Specific Terms and Conditions

What can I use the Tesco e-Gift Card for and how do I get one?

1. This electronic gift card (“e-gift card”) can only be used for purchases in Tesco stores within the UK. You can purchase one e-gift card per order online at www.tescogiftcards.com and you can load any amount between £5 and £150 on it. It’s not re-loadable, and once it’s purchased, we can’t top up the balance or give you a part refund if you change your mind.

2. The e-gift card can be sent by either email or text message and will be delivered to the email address or mobile phone number as specified during the purchase journey. Tesco e-gift cards can’t be bought in or collected from, Tesco UK stores.

3. You can use the e-gift card for full or part-payment towards any products sold within a Tesco store whilst the e-gift card is valid. “Store” includes third party concessions and petrol stations

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the OP looking to buy standard gift vouchers, or the discount gift vouchers through a workplace scheme?  The latter often exclude fuel purchase.
  • tiger135
    Options
    standard gift card or e gift voucher
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family