We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

LGPS - Ill Health Retirement Calculation

Options
I’ve been in the LGPS for 2.5 years with and average salary of 53k. 

I’m applying for ill health retirement and wondered if anyone could assistance in calculating a rough estimate. I guess I’m in position I’ll need to take whatever it is due to illness, but would be good to help planning given a rough idea.  

Any insight would be well received and thanks in advance 

Comments

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2023 at 5:20AM
    Options
    Read this: https://www.lgpsmember.org/your-pension/planning/ill-health-retirement/ and do the calculations based on whatever information there is.

But one can say that Tier 3 Ill Health retirement is roughly £2,704 per year. It will stop if your Tier 3 pension has been paid for three years, or you start gainful employment or become capable of gainful employment, whichever is the earliest. Tier 1 or Tier 2 requires further calculation as to how many years are left until your normal pension age and so on.

Anyway, your HR and LGPS pension administrators are the best ones to ask in my book, especially since there will be many more hoops to jump through to satisfy the requirements as to how generous the scheme is.
  • Frooggot
    Options
    forgot to add that I have 25 years to 68. 
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 September 2023 at 9:13PM
    Options
    I'm sorry that you find yourself in this position, but have to say that it is unlikely that your LGPS will produce any estimated figures before your ill health retirement is confirmed by Occ Health and your employer.

Main reason being that, especially with so many years to go before SPA, there would be a HUGE difference between the figures for Tiers 1, 2 or 3.  Assuming of course that you are actually awarded any level of ill health rather than being dismissed on health capability grounds.

Ill health retirement isn't something you just apply for - there are no end of hoops to jump through, I'm afraid.  What stage are you at?  Has your HR referred you to Occ Health for the independant medical review yet?
  • Kniphofia7
    Options
    Yes a lot depends on whether you are awarded Tier 1 2 or 3 IHR.
  • Frooggot
    Options
    I'm sorry that you find yourself in this position, but have to say that it is unlikely that your LGPS will produce any estimated figures before your ill health retirement is confirmed by Occ Health and your employer.

Main reason being that, especially with so many years to go before SPA, there would be a HUGE difference between the figures for Tiers 1, 2 or 3.  Assuming of course that you are actually awarded any level of ill health rather than being dismissed on health capability grounds.

Ill health retirement isn't something you just apply for - there are no end of hoops to jump through, I'm afraid.  What stage are you at?  Has your HR referred you to Occ Health for the independant medical review yet?
    Thanks, but I have already applied and in the process. I’m aware they will not provide any calculations, which is why I was asking here if anyone was able to help with some rough calculations. 
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Frooggot said:

Thanks, but I have already applied and in the process. I’m aware they will not provide any calculations, which is why I was asking here if anyone was able to help with some rough calculations. 
    May be able to give you a very rough idea once your Tier has been confirmed.
  • MrsBrooks13
    Options
    Are you in a trade union? My union had an ‘informal expert’ who was willing to put together a heavily-caveated ‘guesstimate’ for me and it turned out to be within a few quid of what I ended up getting. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure