Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for the window and gutter cleaning I wasn't told about?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My neighbour arranged for a window and gutter cleaner to attend to both their property and mine - but didn't discuss it with me first, only letting me know on the day the cleaner arrived. He's since asked me to contribute to the cost, which annoyed me as I was never consulted. Should I pay to keep the peace, even though I had nothing to do with it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I fail to see how your neigbour can have arranged for a cleaner to attend your property without your knowledge or agreement. However, where you were offered the services of the cleaner on the day they arrived, you should have declined them, rather than allow the work to be done (unless you knew that you had agreed that the cleaners would be engaged on the basis that there were two houses to be cleaned.)

I think you are going to have to pay, but I would not hand the money over without clearing up the confusion so that this doesn't happen again. 

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
     I would be pretty cheesed off if a neighbour allowed access to my property for window cleaning I didn't ask for. But if your gutters are joined, you both benefit from having them cleared - you could have overflowing gutters and excess water would divert to your neighbours drain, and it's usually cheaper to have 2 semis done at the same time. I'd pay up on the proviso that this is a one-off unless you are consulted first.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As long as a good job was done at a good price I'd pay up, if I could afford it. Falling out with neighbours brings real problems.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • tlfusion
    Options
    Move house
  • Groom
    Groom Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had it ever been mentioned when chatting to your neighbour? I presume you are on good terms with them as I can't imagine it happening with a neighbour you don't speak to! I can understand the guttering perhaps as a better price ma have been arranged for doing two properties, however not the window cleaning. Having said that, I would pay this time rather than fall out with a neighbour, but mention that you don't want window cleaning on a regular basis. 
    2702 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would pay up -reluctantly, just to keep the peace. But you need to make it very clear you need to have a discussion for any future works he proposes.
  • 456Home
    Options
    I concur with other comments, but just how much are we talking about. We had our semi done two months ago and it was just over £100 - he cleaned all the gutters, sofits, uvpc, windows etc of a semi. It looks great! X
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Good idea to get it done before winter, so I’d suggest paying up this time but make sure they understand this is a one-off - no consultation, no contribution. For all they knew you’d already scheduled it with someone else, and might have been liable for costs of last minute cancellation.
  • All_Ears
    Options
    Your neighbour should have consulted you first and most certainly not have left it until the cleaner turned up on your doorstep. Your neighbour was being presumptuous. What next? They have arranged to have your garden tidied or lawn mowed? Then also arranged for your houses to be painted and decorated? And maybe in the same style? It is your house and only you can allow someone onto your property having been given your permission. Time to have a word with your neighbour to express your feelings on the matter. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback