Council Tax band change, backdated bills

Options
Hi,  I've just received 3 letters from council tax dated claiming they have adjusted the tax band on a house I privately rented and I now owe them money.  This is for the period 2005-2007.  Does this sound right, can they really just adjust the band then claim money from everyone that has lived there? 

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,844 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure they are genuine ?
  • Melewis1975
    Options
    Yes they are
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When in 2007?  Wouldn't it be statute barred even if they can retrospectively adjust things?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Melewis1975
    Options
    One of the letters attached
  • Melewis1975
    Options
    Sorry struggling to attach pictures
  • Melewis1975
    Options
    Pic of one of the three bills
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When in 2007?  Wouldn't it be statute barred even if they can retrospectively adjust things?
    Council Tax debts are not statute barred. So if OP has underpaid their CT, the debt can be enforced. What at the moment is not making sense is a band increase being backdated. The OP needs to check the banding history of this dwelling on the government website.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Hi,  I've just received 3 letters from council tax dated claiming they have adjusted the tax band on a house I privately rented and I now owe them money.  This is for the period 2005-2007.  Does this sound right, can they really just adjust the band then claim money from everyone that has lived there? 
    It is most unusual for a band increase to be backdated. As I have said in another post you need to check the banding history of this dwelling on the government website
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Melewis1975
    Options
    Does this mean it changed in 2008 which is after the dates on the bills i received? 
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    As you say, Band B would appear to have been effective from 10 March 2008
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback