Banding Challenge. Am I Wasting My Time?

Options
I have been trying to challenge my current banding for some time.  

After several contacts (ending in refusals) with the VOA, someone suggested that I ask to the the PAD (Property Attributes Data) that the VOA used to initially set the band.   When I did that, the PAD had the property down as being a two storey building covering an area of 189 square metres.   

When I pointed out to the VOA that these details were incorrect, they agreed to sending an official to physically check & measure the property.   The new PAD now has it down as single storey and covering 162 square Metres.  

So they had over estimated by 27 sqM (290 sq ft in old money)   

Despite this, the VOA are insisting that the initial banding was correct & that the property should be in Band E.  

As I bought the property in good order in 2010 for £172K, I do not believe that it would have been worth over £88k in 1991 when the valuation should have been done.  

They are telling me that an claim/appeal should have been done sooner but I did not have access to the PAD data.  Also I do not think that any time limit can be reasonably applied as the property has NEVER been correctly assessed using the correct information on size & type.  

In short, is it worth progressing or is it time to let go?

Thank you for any advice that you can give.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You had to have appealed during your first 6 months of occupation, CT legislation does not permit a late appeal under any circumstances There have been hundreds of thousands of appeals both pre PAD where it couldn't be accessed and post PAD where it was not accessed. 

You must live in a very low price area as a 162 sq m bungalow in the areas I dealt with (I'm ex VOA) would be in Band G..

If the VOA are insistent Band E is correct and you are unable to offer evidence which would support a lower band, it may not be worth pursuing any further
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback