I'm getting married -cannot believe the costs!

Options
13»

Comments

• thara1996
    Options
    I say that this is dependent on each couple in question in order. It is a good idea to make some brief summary notes on venues and so on. Talk to some different people in the wedding industry for more helpful ideas and tips. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Vectis said:
    I think it costs £35 per person for a couple to get married.
    Not sure you can get married for £70 but there are certainly ways to cut down.

An associate recently got married, they did a registry office in the UK for very little and spent a very silly amount for a catholic wedding in Italy (where her family are from). In most the world the legal and religious elements are separate, the UK is unusual in allowing certain religious options to include the legal part.

You can mirror the idea, without the religion. Marry legally in a registry office with just 2 witnesses costs very little. You then can have as big or small an event afterwards as you want. As you are already legally married no need to mention the W word nor have a wedding licensed venue etc. 

There is a street food market near us every Fri-Sun, the other day one area was roped off with a sign it was reserved for a wedding at 2pm. Legal bit had been done earlier, cost nothing for the reservation, no free bar or free food. Bride and Groom were in steam punk outfits which they probably owned or made themselves... didn't note the rings but a simple band doesn't have to cost a lot.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Vectis said:
    I think it costs £35 per person for a couple to get married.
    Not sure you can get married for £70 but there are certainly ways to cut down.

Where the £70.00 came from:

To be legally married, costs start at around £120. That covers fees for the notice of marriage (£35 for each partner) and a brief registry office service on a weekday. In Chester, for example, hiring a room in the city centre registry office that seats 50 guests costs £49, and that includes the marriage certificate (usually £3.50). The cost of this type of basic, legal service is about the same anywhere in the UK, including more expensive cities such as London.

• thara1996
    Options
    Use a weekly diary to keep track of wedding costs. Best wishes. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    la531983 said:
    Go abroad and do it. Seriously. 
    That's fine if everyone you want to be there can afford to pay for flights and accommodation.
    I've seen threads on here and other public forums about being invited to a wedding and being unable to afford the costs.
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should we ask the bride & groom to help with the cost of attending the wedding? — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    And bridezillas throwing strops because their families can't afford to attend.

These links may offer some advice:
    How to get married for less than £1,000 | Planning your wedding | The Guardian
    How much does a wedding cost in the UK? | money.co.uk

Lots of others if you Google.

I'd hazard a guess here that this referred to just the 2 of them hopping off and doing it on a beach with random witnesses.
    I've known of many people doing this.
    Some people feel they should put on a celebratory 'do' and have that back at home at a later date.
    The people i've known do it didn't do that though.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 18 January at 9:20PM
    Options
    Catsacor said:
    Pollycat said:
    la531983 said:
    Go abroad and do it. Seriously. 
    That's fine if everyone you want to be there can afford to pay for flights and accommodation.
    I've seen threads on here and other public forums about being invited to a wedding and being unable to afford the costs.
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should we ask the bride & groom to help with the cost of attending the wedding? — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    And bridezillas throwing strops because their families can't afford to attend.

These links may offer some advice:
    How to get married for less than £1,000 | Planning your wedding | The Guardian
    How much does a wedding cost in the UK? | money.co.uk

Lots of others if you Google.

I'd hazard a guess here that this referred to just the 2 of them hopping off and doing it on a beach with random witnesses.
    I've known of many people doing this.
    Some people feel they should put on a celebratory 'do' and have that back at home at a later date.
    The people i've known do it didn't do that though.

Maybe so...
    but enough proof to show that there are brides & grooms who do expect their families and friends to accompany them to their wedding abroad.

I don't care where people get married as long as they don't expect me to fly thousands of miles at my expense to a destination not of my choosing on a date that I'd probably not choose.

No surprise that only 11 people were invited to our wedding and meal after. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback